squeege rub marks

Guest Revolution

Guest Sidewinder
I.... the customer knows they are there as hes real fussy, as in go's over the whole install, which was full fenders, full hood, full bumper on a new nissan 350z black, with his face an inch away from the film inspecting it...... :bingo

:beer

the customer misunderstands what ppf is and what the process of installing it is.

Ask him what the hell he is doing with his nose on the film and stand back 6-8 feet like a normal human.

as for the marks I helped out a dealer a few weeks back with a two month old car they took on consignment. Not 100% sure the brand but seeing where it came from it was probably one flavor of venture or another... Had a few scuffs. They wanted the film removed or cleaned. I tried one of those white mr clean sponge things with both iso and soapy water and the scuffs did dissipate to a passable level. Which is fine by me as I have taking the stuff off.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest kccartint

The tape works well but leaves a bunch of micro scratches in the film. Then you have to run over all the film with heat to get rid of them. Give and take I guess. :bingo

Guest Josh @ Proform

To prevent scratches I sand my squeegee, the yellow softer but not too soft kind, with 1500 to 2000 grit sand paper until the edge is a smooth as possible. I then apply some spray wax to the squeegee edge for a little added slip. Since started doing this I see very few if any scratches in any brand of film including Venture.

:dunno

the customer misunderstands what ppf is and what the process of installing it is.

Ask him what the hell he is doing with his nose on the film and stand back 6-8 feet like a normal human.

as for the marks I helped out a dealer a few weeks back with a two month old car they took on consignment. Not 100% sure the brand but seeing where it came from it was probably one flavor of venture or another... Had a few scuffs. They wanted the film removed or cleaned. I tried one of those white mr clean sponge things with both iso and soapy water and the scuffs did dissipate to a passable level. Which is fine by me as I have taking the stuff off.

I dont think the customer misunderstands at all if he is paying top dollar for an install then its his expectations you have to hit :gasp 6-8 feet is too far IMHO the Glazing industry typically say 2 feet six for a defect to be a defect and this is what we use. I accept that some customers are very picky but if they werent they wouldnt have PPF at all would they? They would just put up with the damage :beer

The sooner as an installer you get used to your customers having high standards the easier this is going to be on you :gasp

Guest Revolution
I dont think the customer misunderstands at all if he is paying top dollar for an install then its his expectations you have to hit :hmmm 6-8 feet is too far IMHO the Glazing industry typically say 2 feet six for a defect to be a defect and this is what we use. I accept that some customers are very picky but if they werent they wouldnt have PPF at all would they? They would just put up with the damage :evileye

The sooner as an installer you get used to your customers having high standards the easier this is going to be on you :)

thats true, in all my years, whether its ppf, window tinting, wraps or plain old cut lettering I have always been a perfectionist, as you say if someone is paying good money they deserve the best.

that said if you look that closely at any finish, including the paintwork you will find defects.

if it was done spot on initially it should look good from any distance I guess.

ive spoken to the customer this morning and booked him in for a hood refit, hes fine about it, as ive explained there is nothing that is going to remove these "install error" marks.

I have taken on board some good suggestions here and will not make the same mishaps next time. :lol2

I have to admit im impressed with the VT Ultra film and kits, which ive been running with now for the last 2 months, after years of differing makes of film, I keep my mind open to learning new things each day.

:lol2:duck

Guest Sidewinder

Yea I am all about doing a good job, but if a customer or installer / reseller is expecting perfection they are just flat wrong. Perfection is unobtainable by definition. Yes we should all strive for doing the best possible work given a set of constraints. But over promising is a sure way to disappoint.

As for the original post, if the squeegee marks can't be fixed then I guess a mulligan is in order. Shame though. it is too bad that the mfg doesn't have a solution so to speck.

Knock the second one out of the park ;)

Try putting Plexus on the film before its even plotted. It will help keep the static cling down while its cutting and leaves it slippery enough to keep from marking it during installation even if you hit a dry spot.

I use Avery and its real easy to leave a mark in that if it gets dry. Haven't scuffed a single one on film thats been Plexused before hand.

Archived