2 more re-do's this week

Guest darkdan

I have a feeling it's partially the pattern's fault. Going that deep below the gasket can just make it hard to ensure that the tint didn't get contaminated enough to not want to stick and to make sure the bottom is laying flat.

Also, blue max everything and then hard card the edges. You blue max it to get the moisture to the edge and then bumping finishes it off.

What changed about your shrinking? Did you start doing the shrink down under (snapping) or are you doing it wet?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it peeling up at the top or bottom? Are you shaving the top or micro-edge? I have only had a couple windows in 9 years that have peeled at the top and a couple that have peeled at the bottom......

I would say it is possibly the plotter blade cutting at an angle and leaving the film an edge to grab. I personally leave 1/4 to 1/2 inch below the sweep....but I pull the seals most of the time if I can....

dont worry about your competition. if it peels and they call or come by, just make sure that you get'em iin, get'em fixed and get'em back on the road with no hassles from you what so ever. peeling happens sometimes and people need to understand this. I know that people are going to talk about shops and how they took there car to joe shmo and they did a great job with never any problems. what you need your customers saying is how they did have one peel, but you took care of them like you said you would when you was selling the job. and they need to talk about how fast you fixed the problem. I will take customer service over a cocky shop that never gets nothing wrong any day, and yes those shops do exist.

Guest CajunTinter
2 more re-do's this week due to side windows peeling using qdp 40%, some of you might say installation error :hmmm not at all, I know how to tint and haven't seen this many re-do's from any sun-gard product including shadow in my 8 years of tinting, been using qdp for 1 year? Can I get some input? Could it be the dirty A$$ tap water we have here, it didn't affect sun-gard products :lol2 I love qdp, the way it shrinks, looks, & feels but im considering a change once again. Today was a 98 chevy fullsize front roll up at the top edge (we bump all edges) & the film came off with the glue :evilgrin never that happen with this film & it was 35 degrees outside. Yesterday was a 02 chevy full size peeling at the bottom, needless to say both of these vehicles were done not even 6 months ago. :lol2 Thanks for any input in advance.

IF you haven't changed anything in your technique or your slip I would at least call Global and tell them what's going on and see if there are any issues with that run of film. Both vehicles you listed do not have tight seals at the bottom and I never pull those panels to tint those roll downs and a contour or a little foot works just fine to tuck approx 1/4 to 1/2 inches of film in the seal. I would suggest you at least invest in a tap filter. Some people here use distilled water, but that's a matter of personal preference.

I did have this problem with sunTek HP and I was using TTek at the time maybe that cpould be a factor? Do you know how to really tint or just lay patterns? If you can, ditch the plotter on a couple and see what happens. Do it by hand on the next 15-20 cars then ask them to come back for a "free tint cleaning" in the next six weeks or so and inspect the jobs all the while trying to put out the same make model of cars with plotter cut. :hmmm

Forgot to add it was peeling from the top not the bottom and I also feel it was more the plotter than TTek. The sh***y patterns was TTek :lol2

thanks for your input, yes I handcut for 6 years before using the plotter to cut film :evilgrin

I have a feeling it's partially the pattern's fault. Going that deep below the gasket can just make it hard to ensure that the tint didn't get contaminated enough to not want to stick and to make sure the bottom is laying flat.

Also, blue max everything and then hard card the edges. You blue max it to get the moisture to the edge and then bumping finishes it off.

What changed about your shrinking? Did you start doing the shrink down under (snapping) or are you doing it wet?

Nothing has changed about my shrinking technique was just implying that shrinking global is different than sungards products & thats about all thats changed & now im having

issues, Dan thanks for all your input im aware your a huge global fan, I am too :evilgrin would hate to let em' go after a year but I got to figure this out.

Is it peeling up at the top or bottom? Are you shaving the top or micro-edge? I have only had a couple windows in 9 years that have peeled at the top and a couple that have peeled at the bottom......

I would say it is possibly the plotter blade cutting at an angle and leaving the film an edge to grab. I personally leave 1/4 to 1/2 inch below the sweep....but I pull the seals most of the time if I can....

98 chevy peeling at the top & 02 chevy peeling at bottom 1/16" at the top . I wouldn't ever think that how the plotter blade cuts through a 1.2 mil piece of film would effect how the film adheres? :hmmm thanks for your input!

IF you haven't changed anything in your technique or your slip I would at least call Global and tell them what's going on and see if there are any issues with that run of film. Both vehicles you listed do not have tight seals at the bottom and I never pull those panels to tint those roll downs and a contour or a little foot works just fine to tuck approx 1/4 to 1/2 inches of film in the seal. I would suggest you at least invest in a tap filter. Some people here use distilled water, but that's a matter of personal preference.

yes I have talked to my distributor about the issue & they haven't heard anything, im the first :hmmm:evilgrin different rolls & everything so its not just one roll of film. Yes since all this I have installed a filter on our shop sink, only time will tell now. :lol2

88 S-10 or 08 Esco same sh8t . Any peel up is bad news.. thats why popin panels works to eliminate that 1% comeback ratio to .001%. In cold climates drying happens very slow 1/4 OR 1" below belt. Forced hot air is needed with full access to lower window..... one peel up is minus $100.00 shop loss of productivity.

Guest thatsnappyguy

personallly...I would blame myself as install error...I seen this happen with other films also....so its not just a global thing. clean that glass good....dirt aint the only thing on the glass that u can see...most of mine get scrubed after bladed... just to make sure.

Guest Texstar
yes I have talked to my distributor about the issue & they haven't heard anything, im the first :beer:rollin different rolls & everything so its not just one roll of film. Yes since all this I have installed a filter on our shop sink, only time will tell now. :rollin

Global is well aware that there was a batch problem with a run of QDP. Check those numbers on your warranties and have your distributor call some of the others. It was not widespread but it was a Global problem.

To my knowledge it was just that batch though. Don't give up on them

Archived