PPF installation skills vs. tint installation skills

Guest clint4883

Guest clint4883

I have been tinting windows for about 6 years. I opened a shop this year and have been thinking of a service that I can add maybe in a few months to go along with the window tinting. Is it hard to make the transition between PPF and window tint installation? I have been watching some videos but that can fool you. I get people all the time coming telling me that tinting looks easy and they can do it. LOL. I love those cause I can always get more money out of them when they bring it back with some wal-mart s@#t I have to R&R. A experinced installer can make anything look easy. Any suggestions?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have been tinting windows for about 6 years. I opened a shop this year and have been thinking of a service that I can add maybe in a few months to go along with the window tinting. Is it hard to make the transition between PPF and window tint installation? I have been watching some videos but that can fool you. I get people all the time coming telling me that tinting looks easy and they can do it. LOL. I love those cause I can always get more money out of them when they bring it back with some wal-mart s@#t I have to R&R. A experinced installer can make anything look easy. Any suggestions?

If you have mastered tinting, you must have patience. Since you have patience you can master PPF.

ask for a sample kit from a supplier or for someone on the forum to cut you a kit and just practice it.

I have ventureshield and invisible patterns if you need a kit :thumb

if you can get someone in your state to show you how to do it for a couple of days and you offer to compensate them for their time, it will save you alot of $$ and frustration in the long run.

Guest thatsnappyguy

I have used the tinted stuff on tail lights in the past...I hvae been laying vinyl for years...I am now getting into my first real ppf job this week..I been reading up on it and I think that with my tinting/vinyl skills....it shouldnt be hard...but we shall see...I ll take some pics.

Guest clint4883

If you have mastered tinting, you must have patience. Since you have patience you can master PPF.

ask for a sample kit from a supplier or for someone on the forum to cut you a kit and just practice it.

I have ventureshield and invisible patterns if you need a kit :thumb

if you can get someone in your state to show you how to do it for a couple of days and you offer to compensate them for their time, it will save you alot of $$ and frustration in the long run.

Quote/

I saw that Xpel has a facility in san antonio and that is about 6 hours or so from me. they charge like 900 for a five day class. Is that reasonable? Is Xpel a good company to deal with? Who do you think has the best product? If I can't get a kit from a company how much would you charge me for a kit to fit a 07 Honda Accord? I know we don't talk about price which is understandable do to the way it varies depending on location, but no one around here does this work that I know of so I don't know where to start. whats is you profit margin on average per job?

Profit margin is relative to your skills. a full ppf job on an average car will be at least 3 times the average tint price for a 4 door car, going by what film magazine says the us average is.

PPF cost WAY more per sq ft than tint. Thats why its best to pay for training.

900 bucks for 5 days sounds fair to me. I dont know about xpels training but I imagine its top notch.

Venture has free training if you buy a starter kit from them, but they are in boston. I looked at their website and it is pretty much all inclusive, they even show you how the film is made and how to market it.

Guest clint4883

thanks for the tip. I will have to check in to it. I have never been to boston. maybe I will go in august to get away from the freakin 105 degree heat for a week or so. keep the suggestions coming!

the advantage of buld is you can grab some xtra and really strech the pattern where a kit has minimal excess. I started on kits and did maybe 4or 5 and bulk is most common for me know just cuz I can manipulate the film by streching it more. If you don't have a steamer, GET one because it can and will make a world of difference. Is the ventureshield traing still available since they got bought out by 3m? I didn't do any training just watched a guy and practice practice practice.

Archived