PPF installation skills vs. tint installation skills

Guest clint4883

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest thatsnappyguy
I have used the tinted stuff on tail lights in the past...I hvae been laying vinyl for years...I am now getting into my first real ppf job this week..I been reading up on it and I think that with my tinting/vinyl skills....it shouldnt be hard...but we shall see...I ll take some pics.

did my first one friday...08 bmw 328i black!...never touching ppf again!!!. took all day and was a pain in the ass.

Guest tintgod
I have used the tinted stuff on tail lights in the past...I hvae been laying vinyl for years...I am now getting into my first real ppf job this week..I been reading up on it and I think that with my tinting/vinyl skills....it shouldnt be hard...but we shall see...I ll take some pics.

did my first one friday...08 bmw 328i black!...never touching ppf again!!!. took all day and was a pain in the ass.

:thumb

:thumb It's tough and there are worse cars than the 328i, which is an easy car and some colors make it even tougher. Tinting isn't even close to doing ppf :thumb What did you have a problem with?

Guest thatsnappyguy

:eyebrows It's tough and there are worse cars than the 328i, which is an easy car and some colors make it even tougher. Tinting isn't even close to doing ppf :nope What did you have a problem with?

well the hood was a breeze. the mirrors had the option of 1 or 2 piece..I did the 2 peice cuz I couldnt see it laying that much of a curve in one piece. the middle piece around the grill wasnt that bad. now the bumper part just below that headlight had so much curve on it that it took me forever to get it down. this job literally took me all day. after it was done, it looked great. the next morning the custy came back cuz there were some little fingers on the side edges of the bumper. I would love to see how the ppf pros do it so I can see how its done...I have wrapped all kinds of curved surfaces with vinyl for years...this was nothin like anything I ever did. I guess if I knew alot more about it and had some more experience with it...I wouldnt mind doin it more often..but this just took too long and it ruined the whole day cuz I had tint jobs that needed to get done. I would love to take a class or something...but I still dont think that I would like doing this more often...the only thing that keeps me kinda going is the fact that NO other person around here is offering this. we are "were?" the pioneers of the ppf in this area.

Guest blueyes

I have over 20 years of expierence in the auto tinting, graphics and acces. biz.

started when I was a 19 year old kid with Trim Line Design a 3M franchise. In the old days before computer cut graphics we had to do our custom graphics from scratch we laid the 12" wide 3M tape dry no bubbles looked like paint when done ! and hand cut all the fancy designs into the tape on the car WITHOUT SCRATCHING THE CAR!. :thumb When we had clear film such as the large charcoal fades we did the same thing. After much practice on used cars we were allowed to touch New cars. We didnt have time to be using water and soap with our installs we were way to busy to take that much time on a job so we got GOOD at dry installs. Later after the fade of big graphics jobs dried up I got pulled into doing window tinting to make a living. It took me forever to get good at tinting. to this day I consider myself an average tinter. 2 weeks ago I witnessed for the first time the instalation of the clear bra system on a BMW. I was stunned at how easy it was. The matierial is much more plyable than graphics tape the adhesive is more agressive and at the same time more forgiving than graphics tape. you would never get garpics tape to stick as quickly as the clear bra material wet, just aint gonna happen. So in my humble opinion PPF is way easier to learn than window tinting. Granted with anything thier is a learning curv to get good at it but if you can tint the back glass of your average automobile with a little practice you can do PPF. tinting. I :gasp you not!!!!

Archived