A boat?!

Guest socaltint1

Guest General Sun Shield
We tint at least 2-3 boats every year, and we typically put 20% on the windshields. Nothing ever reflective, just the dye stuff. I've never seen any tinting law that applies to watercraft myself, heck in my state you can get a bwi, but it does not affect your driving record b/c it isn't a traffic violation.

The boats are so time consuming, we do charge an arm and a leg to have it done. Only serious clients are willing to pay that much. Just note there is never a product failure warranty (with our product at least-I don't know about others) with tinting watercraft even with tempered glass. Our boat is tinted and has held up pretty good throughout the years.

:err Charge em. any type of marine service is usually exspensive. If they are a serious about thier boat,they know this.

Boat = $$$ imo.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have tinted several (located about 10 mins. from the lake) and have yet to have a problem. I find that 15% or darker looks best especially if there is no roof over the glass. You have a lot of light on both sides of the glass, so it ends up looking lighter than it will meter. As far as I know there are no regulations (at least where I am) and like stated before, boat owners are used to paying extra to have anything done to their watercraft. Charge the heck out of them and send them packing.

Guest sendjoshg

to be safe I would say to let the customer know that is a non-standard type of job so the cost is hourly with a three hour minimum plus materials. as far as tinting a boat goes I'd say there are probably no laws since some boats have no windshield at all. as far as difficulty goes I'd say you know your limitations, but our motto is "if it is glass, we can tint it." don't be afraid to get paid for your skills.

Guest FilmBlazer
Interesting....any problems shrinking on the almost 90 degree curve on the corner?

It caused problems for me I know that! I took some feeling out to say the least. There really isn't much shrinking to do but you will have to heat the glass like a mug to make it adhere and stay on that 90. I use some :thumb tint to get the feel for it a couple times then went ahead with it.

PULL THE GLASS or have the custy pull it and bring it to you. It is the best way to do it and worth the extra effort.

There is a thread where some people on this forum helped me immensely a couple years back. Maybe DD can find it he's damn good at that lol

We tint at least 2-3 boats every year, and we typically put 20% on the windshields. Nothing ever reflective, just the dye stuff. I've never seen any tinting law that applies to watercraft myself, heck in my state you can get a bwi, but it does not affect your driving record b/c it isn't a traffic violation.

The boats are so time consuming, we do charge an arm and a leg to have it done. Only serious clients are willing to pay that much. Just note there is never a product failure warranty (with our product at least-I don't know about others) with tinting watercraft even with tempered glass. Our boat is tinted and has held up pretty good throughout the years.

:lol Charge em. any type of marine service is usually exspensive. If they are a serious about thier boat,they know this.

Boat = $$$ imo.

Yes charge $$$ for the time and effort you will have into it. You will be glad you charged much more than an auto because it might give you a pretty big headache!

Good luck :thumb

LibCrop.jpg

Guest customcuttinting
A customer wants their boat windshield done :thumb ...anyone ever ran into this? Im sure there have to be some sort of legal ramifications.

This is a ski boat btw.

I'm not sure their are any laws prohibiting, but they are cracking down on boaters here in Az for other things that they didn't in the past. Maybe give them a warning.

Archived