Deposits for FG jobs - suggestions?

Guest long_john

I AM THE SUNSCAPE SELECT AND MAC DEALER IN MY AREA. MY AVERAGE PRICE PER SF (BASED ON WHOLE FOOT MEASURING ONLY) IS FROM 7 PER SF ON SUNSCAPE AND 12 PER SF ON MAC CERAMIC. UPCHARGE FOR WOOD FRAMES AND ABOVE GRADE WINDOWS.

I REQUIRE A 40% DEPOSIT AND BAL DUE THE SAME DAY WORK IS COMPLETED. ALL PAPERWORK AND WARRANTY INCLUDING THE INSTALLATION WARRANTY (MY OWN CONTRACT) MUST BE FILLED OUT AND SIGNED BEFORE I INSTALL THE FILM.

WE CUSTOM CUT ALL WINDOWS PERFECT TO THE EDGE. ABSOLULTY NO LIGHT GAPS ALLOWED. IT IS OUR POLICY THAT IF YOU CAN SEE ANY IMPERFECTION IN THE JOB, CORNERS OR DUST. YOU THE CUSTOMER CAN REQUEST IT TO BE REPLACED. AS THE OWNER ON THE JOB. IF MY OTHER INSTALLERS MESS UP A PIECE OF FILM THEY PAY FOR IT 2 TIMES THE ACTUAL COST.

THE BOTTOM LINE IS..... MY CUSTOMER PAY ABOUT 40% MORE THAN OTHER SHOPS FOR OUR WORK AND THEY APPRICIATE THE DIFFERENCE.

GOOD LUCK

I use quickbooks... and I tried to get a merchant account thru my bank, but they said no. (low credit scores)

I had a merchant account when I first started several years ago, but no one ever paid with a cc and between the fees, monthly charge, etc. it just wasn't worth having, so I got rid of it.

And still, I hardly ever have anyone ask about paying with a credit card. Those who don't even ask just give me a check. Those few who do never complain that I don't take cards.... so I never really did much as far as looking into getting another merchant account again.

Except for times like today when I think about the whole issue of should I or shouldn't I take deposits.

-R

well, you can always ask them to send you a check.tell them when you get the check..you will call them to set up a time to come do the job...it should take but a few days to get a check for on of your clients..I know it only take a week to send something coast to coast throught USPS.

BINGO :thumb I get 50% down the balance due on completion. deposit non refundable.

:thumb if they are serious about you doing the work they will give the deposit. When they call us back after some time has passed, and we determine that the estimate is still good, we will ask them to either bring us the deposit or put it into the mail, and we will start the process after we receive the deposit, and if the check is good, dont laugh, people still bounce checks.

We quit taking it on the hand shake, people change their minds on the job, film type, or the amount of windows they want you to do. Dont tie up your cash on their film. The deposit should cover the cost of film, materials, gas, etc, before you even start the job, no matter how large or small the job. We are a small shop, and use to tie up our own money and it caused many problems for us. Use their money to work on, not yours :beer

we use to take credit cards, and quit that. we had a couple customers that called the credit card company and claimed the charge was not valid. Visa took the money back out of our account immediately, and we then had to prove the charge was legit. It took weeks to get our money back. Also, they take their sweet time to post funds to your account most of the time. I want my money when the job is done, and all of it, not minus the credit card companies % and batch charges, etc. And I dont like a company having that kind of access to my money.

I use quickbooks... and I tried to get a merchant account thru my bank, but they said no. (low credit scores)

I had a merchant account when I first started several years ago, but no one ever paid with a cc and between the fees, monthly charge, etc. it just wasn't worth having, so I got rid of it.

And still, I hardly ever have anyone ask about paying with a credit card. Those who don't even ask just give me a check. Those few who do never complain that I don't take cards.... so I never really did much as far as looking into getting another merchant account again.

Except for times like today when I think about the whole issue of should I or shouldn't I take deposits.

-R

well, you can always ask them to send you a check.tell them when you get the check..you will call them to set up a time to come do the job...it should take but a few days to get a check for on of your clients..I know it only take a week to send something coast to coast throught USPS.

BINGO :lol6 I get 50% down the balance due on completion. deposit non refundable.

:lol2 if they are serious about you doing the work they will give the deposit. When they call us back after some time has passed, and we determine that the estimate is still good, we will ask them to either bring us the deposit or put it into the mail, and we will start the process after we receive the deposit, and if the check is good, dont laugh, people still bounce checks.

We quit taking it on the hand shake, people change their minds on the job, film type, or the amount of windows they want you to do. Dont tie up your cash on their film. The deposit should cover the cost of film, materials, gas, etc, before you even start the job, no matter how large or small the job. We are a small shop, and use to tie up our own money and it caused many problems for us. Use their money to work on, not yours :rollin

we use to take credit cards, and quit that. we had a couple customers that called the credit card company and claimed the charge was not valid. Visa took the money back out of our account immediately, and we then had to prove the charge was legit. It took weeks to get our money back. Also, they take their sweet time to post funds to your account most of the time. I want my money when the job is done, and all of it, not minus the credit card companies % and batch charges, etc. And I dont like a company having that kind of access to my money.

exactly! :krazy

Someone said they had never been burned and that is excellent. I dont care if you have done tens of thousands of jobs before you get burnt, you will wish you had went through the trouble to get a deposit if (when) you do get burnt. :lol6

propay.com or charge.com easy to accept credit cards, just gotta know where to look. get yourself one of those cheap duplicate manual machines and keep it in the truck. for $30 a month from charge.com and pipeline data, I've been taking them for over a year. if you don't need it often, check out propay.com. they only charge $59 per year to take em all if you are within the limitations. punch it in an online virtual terminal, and get auto deposit into your account within 3-5 biz days. I like it. :sign and my bank almost ripped me off for a couple of grand to sign up with them. :bs

Guest Sunlimited

You can also offer something like 10% off if the job is booked and payed for on the spot, seems to work for me, and you can always add 50 cents to what you usually charge, that way when you give them the 10% you're not really eating anything.....

You can also offer something like 10% off if the job is booked and payed for on the spot, seems to work for me, and you can always add 50 cents to what you usually charge, that way when you give them the 10% you're not really eating anything.....

A lot of time the customer would go for something like that just to save a bit of money in their eyes :thumb

Guest Sunlimited

Just got finished doin an estimate and did exactly that. Went up on $ a little, gave the guy 10% off and actually end up making a little more......

Archived