Deposits for FG jobs - suggestions?

I don't take deposits for FG jobs... but the jobs I get are generally under $2000-$2500.

I travel all over for my jobs... north south east west. I'm sure most people here would think I'm nuts, but hey... if the shoe fits. :thumb

Anyway, I do not take credit cards either... checks or cash. So when someone books a job, more times then not it is after I gave them the est. Couple days.. week, etc. They call, or I call, and the job is booked.

I've been thinking about taking deposits... if for nothing else then to put towards the supplies/film I'll need for the job itself. Only problem, since I don't take credit cards, and if they book a few days after the est. is given, I'm not really sure how I would even be able to take a deposit. Since I'm a small shop, I generally book about a week out. So they wouldn't really even have enough time to send a check for the deposit.

Anyone have any suggestions??? Or should I just forget about it unless they book on the spot when I do the est.?

It's not a huge deal... and I have never been burned... it would just help with the cash flow.

-R

Guest tintgod

get your business verifed through paypal and you can do it that way...then get a merchant account through them...or you can go through your bank.

I take usually 1/3 down at signing or more...ppl usually dont have a problem with that....im thinking about doing that for auto too..like $20 non refundable to secure their spot on my schedule book..I dont have the time to wait around for ppl and have them not show up and no call to cancel.

Bank account transfer maybe. Paypal works too but they take 3% commission plus a transaction fee of whatever you are paid. I use to sell a lot of items on e bay and I felt paypal was eating a lot of the profits but it does work and is convenient.

I use quickbooks... and I tried to get a merchant account thru my bank, but they said no. (low credit scores)

I had a merchant account when I first started several years ago, but no one ever paid with a cc and between the fees, monthly charge, etc. it just wasn't worth having, so I got rid of it.

And still, I hardly ever have anyone ask about paying with a credit card. Those who don't even ask just give me a check. Those few who do never complain that I don't take cards.... so I never really did much as far as looking into getting another merchant account again.

Except for times like today when I think about the whole issue of should I or shouldn't I take deposits.

-R

Guest tintgod
I use quickbooks... and I tried to get a merchant account thru my bank, but they said no. (low credit scores)

I had a merchant account when I first started several years ago, but no one ever paid with a cc and between the fees, monthly charge, etc. it just wasn't worth having, so I got rid of it.

And still, I hardly ever have anyone ask about paying with a credit card. Those who don't even ask just give me a check. Those few who do never complain that I don't take cards.... so I never really did much as far as looking into getting another merchant account again.

Except for times like today when I think about the whole issue of should I or shouldn't I take deposits.

-R

well, you can always ask them to send you a check.tell them when you get the check..you will call them to set up a time to come do the job...it should take but a few days to get a check for on of your clients..I know it only take a week to send something coast to coast throught USPS.

I always ask for half down no matter how much the job is. It is just good business sense. You got to start doing whatever it takes to close the deal on the spot. I always throw something in as an incentive to close the deal on the spot...like, I will do that window or sidelights for free if you accept my estimate right now. Just tonight, I quoted a job for $1560.00 for a residential customer and the wife seemed a little hesitant to say yes, so I said, Well if you pay cash I will knock off the sales tax and an extra $60 off. The husband immediately said yes, gave me $750 cash as deposit and I was on my way. Oh and he gave me a couple of glass beer mugs..he is an executive at a glass factory...

-R

well, you can always ask them to send you a check.tell them when you get the check..you will call them to set up a time to come do the job...it should take but a few days to get a check for on of your clients..I know it only take a week to send something coast to coast throught USPS.

BINGO :mad I get 50% down the balance due on completion. deposit non refundable.

Archived