'98 4runner

Guest Clemsonfan15

Guest Sunlimited

If you go to a reputable shop, you know you get what you pay for..I'm sure theres also some fine print for mpv's, or something that explains factory glass and its legalities in your state....Double check, and if you're that worried about your radio, or your subwoofers ( which are probably !llegal, because most citys have an ordinance law ) there are alarms on the market that can alert your cell phone, or come with a pager that will let you know if someone is tampering with your vehicle....

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Clemsonfan15
If you go to a reputable shop, you know you get what you pay for..I'm sure theres also some fine print for mpv's, or something that explains factory glass and its legalities in your state....Double check, and if you're that worried about your radio, or your subwoofers ( which are probably !llegal, because most citys have an ordinance law ) there are alarms on the market that can alert your cell phone, or come with a pager that will let you know if someone is tampering with your vehicle....

Is everyone on this forum against anything !llegal? Just because I have subwoofers does not mean I play them loud or use them in a bad way.

I've been looking at a better alarm, but tint is a LOT cheaper than getting a new alarm.

I just wanted to know about the light meter because let's say I wanted to get exactly 27%, but they made it 30% that would not be fair.

How do you recommend I find a good shop? Any shop could seem good right? Is there any advantage in going to a car tinting shop compared to a shop that tints cars and houses and such?

Thanks.

Guest darkdan

35% is better than nothing.

It will give you more privacy and better looks than clear glass.

Plus if you've invested that much into your "system" than a few bucks more for a quality tint job shouldn't be anything. Unless of course, you can't afford it.

Guest Clemsonfan15
35% is better than nothing.

It will give you more privacy and better looks than clear glass.

Plus if you've invested that much into your "system" than a few bucks more for a quality tint job shouldn't be anything. Unless of course, you can't afford it.

Good points.

Anybody have ideas about window strips? Are they worth it? Do they make a difference? If I put a 5% window strip would it look weird? How much do they cost?

Guest Clemsonfan15

I was also wondering what the AS1 line is. I've searched for it and can not find any information about it. I've also looked at my car, but can not seem to find any telling signs.

http://www.thefederalregister.com/d.p/2003-07-25-03-18924

dig down into that and you will find information on the AS1 line...... not all cars will have a marking of AS1. I have heard that the AS1 was measured from the bottom of the seat, fully back, straight up so many inches, then straight out to the windshield. This document makes it be a bit different measuring.

Guest Clemsonfan15
http://www.thefederalregister.com/d.p/2003-07-25-03-18924

dig down into that and you will find information on the AS1 line...... not all cars will have a marking of AS1. I have heard that the AS1 was measured from the bottom of the seat, fully back, straight up so many inches, then straight out to the windshield. This document makes it be a bit different measuring.

Ok. Thanks. Do you feel as if a window strip is worth it?

Guest darkdan

Once you have one, you will wonder how you ever lived without it.

I've done them on Ions, which end up being about 1.5" big, and the owners love it. It really helps with glare.

I'll always suggest to keep it legal, and I'd usually tend to go with the higher priced shop.

I read that about 10 minutes ago and I also read this: http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=40823.

Anybody have answers to my questions?

Is it hard to see out of 20% at night? In the rain?

Is there a way to make the fronts exactly 28%

Are some films darker than others?

Would it look weird if I had 20% up front and stock rears? How about 35% fronts and stock rears?

Any body have good pictures of 20% compared to say 35%?

Yes I have a lot of questions, but in my opinion this is a big decision.

Try DarkMatter Ceramic Hybrid Film 30*** its a 29%, Awesome Clarity.

get Llumar ATR 30. It will meter 28, maybe 27. If you want you can go with ATR 20. It will be illegal but it isn't any harder to see out of than the 30. I would stick with the 30 though. Not worth the extra few percent. As far as front strips. Some people love them some hate them. Completely personal preference

Archived