'98 4runner

Guest Clemsonfan15

Guest Clemsonfan15

Ok this is my first post, but I have done a few searches on here and cannot find the answers I need.

I have a '98 4runner. These cars have factory tint on the rear passenger windows and the rear window. I want to have the fronts tinted so that they match or closely match the factory tint. What is the usual % for factory tint? Somewhere I read that it might be around 20% so I was thinking that I would do 20% up front.

I know 20% is !llegal and that's not great, but I also read somewhere that having anything less that 20% is kinda pointless. How dark is 20%? Is it hard to drive at night or in the rain?

How much should a shop charge to tint two front windows?

Thanks.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Factory glass on MOST are around 20%. That being said, you should keep it legal. 35% tint will go nicely with a factory glass as well. No tint is "worthless" as it all will block the UV and some heat. Some films will block more heat than others......

Guest Clemsonfan15

I'm in SC and I believe the law here is 28% for fronts. Another reason I wanted to do 20% over 35% or so is because I have some audio equipment in my car. It would be nice to have a little more security.

Beeline is that 20% up front? The rears don't look factory to me. Is this correct?

I called a few days ago and got quotes anywhere from $50 to $65 and even one $100 for two fronts. Does this sound about right?

Any answers to the other questions?

Guest Clemsonfan15
I'll always suggest to keep it legal, and I'd usually tend to go with the higher priced shop.

I read that about 10 minutes ago and I also read this: http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=40823.

Anybody have answers to my questions?

Is it hard to see out of 20% at night? In the rain?

Is there a way to make the fronts exactly 28%

Are some films darker than others?

Would it look weird if I had 20% up front and stock rears? How about 35% fronts and stock rears?

Any body have good pictures of 20% compared to say 35%?

Yes I have a lot of questions, but in my opinion this is a big decision.

Guest Clemsonfan15

I tried to PM you Beeline, but apparently I can't do that. I also tried to edit my last post and can't do that either.

Beeline: How do you like the 20%? Does it match with the stock rears? Any problems at night or in the rain?

If you are standing about three feet away how visible is the interior?

Archived