Filing top edge?

This is new to me and I'v never tried it...and after seeing a pic of it yesterday, it looks very nice. I'm just a little confused on how to trim before I lay it up to file the edge. I normally lay tint to window, cut mirrror, bump film over, roll down, cut side, cut top. Would I do a rough cut for top having it 1" or so above eged, so there not excess tint hanging everywhere. I think I might be a filing guy...been filing griptape on my skateboards for 16 years...lol. :tantrum

Guest naughtydog

Make your pattern like normal but overlap the bottom 1/8th inch more, make sure you round your corners well into the door frame,lay up pattern and leave a little over the bevel, hard card, little heat and with the right file you can do it almost wet.

Make your pattern like normal but overlap the bottom 1/8th inch more, make sure you round your corners well into the door frame,lay up pattern and leave a little over the bevel, hard card, little heat and with the right file you can do it almost wet.

So I can position the film to the correct spot by using the sides cuts as a point of referece. I normally tuck my film 1/8", I can see pulling down another 1/8" for a framed window, but why on one with no frame. Oh yea, I just got caust for 5% on my fronts, so I gonna try to file the edge on it....its a 1988 mustang gt hatchback. Do you think I could file the side edge, b/c the side edge is exposed when the widow is down?....thanks naughtydog :tantrum

Archived