2000 trans am

I have a good friend with a 2000 trans am he bought off ebay and repaired. wanted tint of course. tried it 2 weeks ago twice. got nowhere. tried again a week later. 2 times and said phuck it and 2 peiced it ... not even with the defrost lines, just straight aross, just to get something on there for him until I was motivated to try again. tried again this evening. 3 times and got nothing. I dont know whats going on. ive never had problems with camaros or trans ams but its been a year since ive done one. I tried every method I could think of with this one. wet, dry with soap, dry with dryer sheets, wet and dry mix, stretch, bumped the film up and shrunk the bottom, then moved it back down. it seems that the film just wont stick around the sides and bottom sides and the bottoms just wont flatten out without creasing or wont stick. I use johnsons and I tried sp20 and sp05 and I attempted to use the global hp20 sample roll I got from them and nothing seems to work. any suggestions? maybe the glass manufactorer? like I said, ive never had problems with these kind of rear windows before, just this one.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a 94 like that once, took forever to get it. Shoot I just had a simple grand am kick my arse. Sometimes its how it goes. Thought about doing a 2 piece on the defroster to hide it? Or vinyl the matrix and thus shortening the area of tint needed to shrink?

I attempted 2 piecing it but couldnt get the film to lay on the bottom. im not worried about the matrix or top, I use glue up there. I even tried getting the fingers toward the top section more but it made the bottoms to tight to move and flatten. im totally stumped on this one and definently not gunna use a crap load more film just to make it work. maybe ill just 2 piece it on the very bottom defrost line so there isnt so much film to p1ss with down there. I dont think ive ever done a 2 peice though either, just saw a couple done. thatll be another topic, im sure. ha

Has the glass been replaced? I usually just wet the whole back window and get the film to lay flat except for maybe a few fingers up top. I know on 93-97 sometimes I have problems due to a slightly different glass curve. I dont like doing 2 piece rear windows, but I gave up a lil while back on a 93 Camaro. I didnt want to waste anymore film.

Oh, and when I 2 pieced it, I seemed it on the bottom defroster line.

im not sure if the back glass has been replaced, may very well be since he bought it wrecked and the last owner might have did some fixing up of it. the compound curve on the bottom goes all the way around to the sides and im not even sure if ive dealt with a back glass on one of these like that unless theyre all like that and im just having problems with this one? ill probably end up 2 piecing it on the bottom defrost like you said. phuck my life!

Guest FilmBlazer

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I feel your pain man keep it up and beat that thing.

I did a K9 Intrepid yesterday... Shrunk and prepped perfectly laid the film and went to squeegie the back window... Caught the back seat pushing my squeegie sideways on my way up and ripped it.

Second attempt shrunk it too fast and creased a bottom finger during the install. Third attempt after I smoked two heaters and relaxed... Wet checked it. Finally got it. I wish you luck.

FB

Guest Sunlimited

I've seen this done before on some harder b/gs, don't anchor the sides, but leave one good finger sideways in the center of each side. Shrink the rest of it accordingly, than pull the film back and use an H anchor to get some smaller fingers going, I've never personally done it, but I've seen a guy do this multiple times and it always works for him......Another thought, did you try gloves rather than a hard card?

Guest A&RCustomTinting

I usually wet heat them. I squegge an H on the tint, then I heat the top of the window. For the bottom I actually lift the film up so it is curving up off the window all along the bottom edge. That usually leaves about four finger type areas under the line of the H going across the glass and I add a little heat to them and use my water solution and my hand to lay them down without putting to much heat. They dont have to go away completley. It realy does not need alot. When I add to much heat and try to hard to get it to lay down perfect on the glass I usually can not get it to lay down on that bottom edge when I go to install. I hope I explained that good enough, kind of hard to right down and not actually do. I know I am new to this site but I have been tinting for ten years and I still learn something new everyday. So dont be mean to me guys (not that I think anyone would) just thought I would try to help. :shock

I wet shrink them...a few fingers at the top, then I shrink the BUBBLE in the center of the bottom.I've only had one eat my lunch.It was a 2000 T/A that had the back glass replaced. You could see the strange curve. it didnt help that it was on 9-11-01 and the trade center was about to collapse.I was shook up over the attack on US soil. The guy left it over night...the next morning it fell in there! :shock No problems since.

Archived