Newbie - keep geting contamination

Guest naughtydog

Guest naughtydog

I am sick of picking up contamination when tinting. I accept thet I am a beginner and we all have to start somewhere. I have been doing a job for a local garage and they stick me in this poxy valeting bay, the floor is dusty as hell and no matter how quick I shift the film from my "A" board to the vehicle some dust has settled on the prepped glass and voila!! - it looks like s**t.

I told them they cannot expect a good result when they cannot provide the right environment.

Do any of you guys get asked to tint in crappy conditions. I wont do it again.!!

Naughtydog

takecareofnewbie.jpg

Guest DontWorryItWillDry
I told them they cannot expect a good result when they cannot provide the right environment. 

That would be a great start. And remember, you can't really eliminate the dust and dirt, only minimize it.

Guest Litespeeds

That is why I tell all my customers that we have a semi controlled environment for tinting at my shop and that it would be beneficial for them to bring their cars to me instead of having me go to them. I just hate tinting at BODY SHOPS or other places with high levels of dust. At least you warned them about the possibility of contamination. Maybe you should try and rinse down the car and the area that you are working at to control some of that dust :beer

Guest thetintshop

a dusty environment is not an ideal place to work, so the customer should expect contamination. you might try watering down the floor when you start, it will help. but even in a semi controlled environment, most of the contamination is coming off the vehicle. I have people bring thier cars in covered in crap (literally, cow s**t all over it) and then start picking the hell out of the film when I'm done. contamination will never be eliminated, just reuduced, but it takes effort from the customer too.

Guest S and S

You will NEVER have a tint job that wont have ANY contamination!!! But I wouldnt do work for these guys again if I have to do it in that enviorment!!!!!!!!

Guest Tint Guru

There is a diff between dust ( random specs) and dirt ( around the edges).

I have worked in the worst environments, dirt roads, detailing shops with vacumms blowing crap everywhere, rust proofing in the next bay.

The bottom line you have to get the film on ASAP after the window is cleaned. This is not the time for a final trim or monkeying around with the release liner. Also, pre peel the liner a tad and spray it after you trim it so you can grab the release liner and the film can go on the window after it has been PERFECTLY CLEANED. It also helps to peel the liner from the bottom up and wet the film from the bottom up so you dont wet anything above the film that can run down on the film and appear to be dust.

One of the things about being a good tinter is to be quick tinter that can get the film on ASAP as the window is clean.

IF the floor is dirty .. Clean it

If there is dust on the walls and shelfs Clean it.

If it is a valet and a garage door is open all the time you really have no choise but to clean it.

SO WHY DOES THE PHONE RING EVERYTIME I REMOVE THE LINER?

TINT LAW :beer

Guest Sprinter

the more I yell the more the dust goes away, right.

could be your water, so you have a blue shop towel wraped around the pick up tube, if not do it.

are you using a 5 gallon sprayer or a trigger sprayer, get at least a 3 gallon sprayer with some pressure in it, and wrap a blue shop towel in the handle part where the white filter is.

like was said from mr paladin chamoise down the top of the car the outside of the windows the window chanels, top of the door panels and so forth.

spray the ground around the door your going to be hanging film on will keep the dirt on the ground while you peel liner and install.

I sometimes have to tint in dirt no choise and the job comes out allmost perfect its how you handle the film and how you clean the car, so no excuses if tinting in dirt about getting dirt in the film.

theres no crying in tinting!

If you use a pane of glass to put your templates on, be sure it is clean as well..I found that's #1 place of contamination if not cleaned regularily..when you peel of your liner , it brings down contamination when you spray your adhesive side...also, if your going to sweep..do it LONG before tinting...otherwise all your dust is now airborn..the worst place for it to be..it was better off on the ground..when tinting in these kind of environments, I make sure I spray the area down with a tacky soap solution..keeps dirt on the ground and off your tint..hopefully they don't have a door that opens on you all the time as well :rollin

Archived