say you are opening a new business where the same type closed down

Most reasonabel people (customers) who come back to you and see all new faces, a new busienss name and such will realize that it is in fact a new business and not an extension of the old one. There should be no reason for you to feel obligated to honor the old companies warranties.

With that being said treat each incident on a case by case basis. If you have the manpower and time with the original warranty paperwork and have the manufactures behind you then it could be good for your business. However I would make sure you let the customer know that you are going above and beyond and in no way are you required to do so. You would be doing so to extablish good will in hope of establishing a future business relationship.

You bought the business and all of the customers. Lack of research on your part = loss on your part. Start out by explaining the new business. If the customer is receptive, cut your losses and have them pay for a portion of the repair. Otherwise, you are like every other business out there. Looking to make a buck and f$#% customer service. If they were a reputable shop, as you say they were, then you have nothing to worry about. I suspect that they were not, otherwise you would not be asking the question. Fix the problem. Think long term rather than short term. Good Luck!!!

You bought the business and all of the customers. Lack of research on your part = loss on your part. Start out by explaining the new business. If the customer is receptive, cut your losses and have them pay for a portion of the repair. Otherwise, you are like every other business out there. Looking to make a buck and f$#% customer service. If they were a reputable shop, as you say they were, then you have nothing to worry about. I suspect that they were not, otherwise you would not be asking the question. Fix the problem. Think long term rather than short term. Good Luck!!!

Actually I ended up not buying anything, I'm just leasing their old shop and have their old phone #'s, that is where I'm a little stuck. I mean if I was buying their business and using their name and such, then yes, that would be understandable. Eh, I will just take it case by case.

Archived