Vosa stops 45% VLT

Does anyone have any understanding as to why VOSA are giving advice only rather than removal for Front roll downs reading over 45% VLT.

This has happened frequently when they have busted local members from club at their weekly meet

Your feedback/opinions and experiences would be an interesting thread.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest shadowline

They normally only give "adviice" chats if the tint is very very light, the fine and 14 days to remove is quite common for quite a light tint, they normally only impound the very drk tint, which I think makes sense. Next time I speak to my brother I will find out, he works for VOSA, and spends all day pulling vehicles over!!

Nice ,your brother may be able to get to the bottom of it .as the VOSA Guy in my area goes quite and will not answer the question.

I think there are vehicles on the road with VLT under the requirements,has anyone ever put a meter on the UV Windscreens used by Volvo, Renault,Citreon,Ford.etc ???????

Thanks for your reply ,strange nobody else has anything to add as I thought there were experienced UK tinters on this forum .

Would be nice to find out if they are discriminating whilst keeping it all quite.

Guest sun-busters

Had them on the A27 this weekend. seem to just advise on lighter tints and give them 14 days to remove. I am told they made one chap remove a darker tint (20%) there and then at the roadside. Its quite confusing for the custys, and makes our job harder, having to refuse to do fronts and explain the law when they see loads of cars driving with dark windows and still only a few isolated warnings in our area

Guest filmslayer

If you think thats bad,try selling it in Florida ,where there's 5% every where and all thier friends have at least 20% all around,witch is probably true,so what do you do :thumb Our law is 28/16 on pas. veh.

reason not much people have replied is more down to the fact if you look through this section you'll get your answers, the uk vlt levels have been discussed to death.

basically, just tint legel and you wont have a problem.

if you have to tint fronts, slap a 70% tint on them which combined will make them about 58% roughly depending on factory tint involved. or even 55% if the factory tint allows it.

I have a very good relationship with our local police force and they confirmed to me that going by their rules (which they showed me in hard print) that if a window measures at 46% to 100% then they get advice to remove it. no points on licence or fines.

ps they confirmed this info on monday morning so to my knowledge nothing has changed since then!

sounds like your local vosa guy is a complete jobsworth, if you ever meet him, ask why he has a zero tolerance approach whilst there are cars out there with !llegal glass from the factory??

Guest naughtydog

Lots of french cars have below 70% vlt as standard. These cars should be recalled for new glass as they breech the construction and use regulations...will it happen...NO.

So VOSA have a sympathetic approach to 45% and above.

reason not much people have replied is more down to the fact if you look through this section you'll get your answers, the uk vlt levels have been discussed to death.

if you have to tint fronts, slap a 70% tint on them which combined will make them about 58% roughly depending on factory tint involved. or even 55% if the factory tint allows it.

I have a very good relationship with our local police force and they confirmed to me that going by their rules (which they showed me in hard print) that if a window measures at 46% to 100% then they get advice to remove it. no points on licence or fines.

ps they confirmed this info on monday morning so to my knowledge nothing has changed since then!

sounds like your local vosa guy is a complete jobsworth, if you ever meet him, ask why he has a zero tolerance approach whilst there are cars out there with !llegal glass from the factory??

I dont tint many front windows anymore and its been that way since 2005 and I do all I can to help people understand the truth and law.

My Vosa guy is excellent and has sympathy for the situation,I also pass on details of cars with !llegal tints and the company who did it and he hunts them down ,although even with the assistance of trading standards

he is unable to stop the hacks in my area .

What cars are you aware of that are not conforming ???,surely its discrimination and a loop hole for the rest of us.

Guest sun-busters

I dont tint many front windows anymore and its been that way since 2005 and I do all I can to help people understand the truth and law.

My Vosa guy is excellent and has sympathy for the situation,I also pass on details of cars with !llegal tints and the company who did it and he hunts them down ,although even with the assistance of trading standards

What cars are you aware of that are not conforming ???,surely its discrimination and a loop hole for the rest of us.

Are you a tinter or a nark. Passing on details of illegally tinted cars to VOSA. Happily I would advise people on the law and I refuse to do anything on fronts, I am keen on keeping it legal. But to stoop that low? :dunno:dunno

Guest Diamond Tints

Are you a tinter or a nark. Passing on details of illegally tinted cars to VOSA. Happily I would advise people on the law and I refuse to do anything on fronts, I am keen on keeping it legal. But to stoop that low? :spit:dunno

I was just about to say that basically makes you a " Grass" but some one bet me too it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived