Film for a boat?

Friend of mine just bought a boat that has a cabin on it. It has (9) 38" x 32" completely square windows on it and (3) 68" x 32" larger windows (sliding door).

He want's "Limo" on all of them. All I have is Llumar 5% Limo automotive film, will this work for the job or do I need special film for these windows on a boat?

Guest thatsnappyguy

as long as its not insulated glass, that film will be fine. personally, I would order some res/comm film..for better heat blockage.

Guest scottydosnntkno
as long as its not insulated glass, that film will be fine. personally, I would order some res/comm film..for better heat blockage.

most all of the major mannys make a dark smoked film. SG has the Grey/Silver/Grey 5, which looks just like a limo film but has better heat rejection. Most good quality FG films will have much better TSER than a comparable color auto film.

How can I tell if the glass is insulated? The boat is 1970's and I'm pretty sure it's all original glass.

Guest thatsnappyguy

im sure its just single paned glass if its that old. insulated is dual paned glass. two sheets of glass with gap in the middle.

Guest scottydosnntkno
im sure its just single paned glass if its that old. insulated is dual paned glass. two sheets of glass with gap in the middle.

this man speaks the truth. look at the bottom/side/whereever on the glass. If you see glass, a little metal strip with perforations and more glass, then its DP. If all you see is the retaining trim, glass, and trim then its SP.

Guest mikeMN

Thermo pane insulated window glass was invented by C. D. Haven in the United States in 1930.this is a simple test you can do to see how many layers of glass there is . Take cigarette lighter and hold it up to the glass and light it and count the flames you see in the reflection. Plate glass you will see one flame but look closely at the tips of the flame as you will see two tips of the flame and they will be father apart the thicker the glass is, thermo pane you will see 2 flames 4 tips the distance between the two flames will differ as the space between thermo pane will differ for a total of 4 tips of the flame -laminated you will see 4 tips but they will be very close together .this is a simple test to use in a pinch. :hmmm

Guest scottydosnntkno
Thermo pane insulated window glass was invented by C. D. Haven in the United States in 1930.this is a simple test you can do to see how many layers of glass there is . Take cigarette lighter and hold it up to the glass and light it and count the flames you see in the reflection. Plate glass you will see one flame but look closely at the tips of the flame as you will see two tips of the flame and they will be father apart the thicker the glass is, thermo pane you will see 2 flames 4 tips the distance between the two flames will differ as the space between thermo pane will differ for a total of 4 tips of the flame -laminated you will see 4 tips but they will be very close together .this is a simple test to use in a pinch. :hmmm

I've never heard that before. So if its single pane, you will see two tips if you look closely?

Guest mikeMN

I've never heard that before. So if its single pane, you will see two tips if you look closely?

Yes and its works very well. But I recommend you do not try this as there is a small danger of getting burned. You may only use this tip with your parents nearby. And tell them to have water close to them.

Archived