How much to pay an experienced auto window tinter?

Guest 2207WEST

I am paid salary, with commission after a certain amount of sales/installs. At the end of the year it averages between 33-35% in total sales. It is up to me to sell harder to get the numbers up and make more money. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

. If you had an installer that could do tint, ppf, mobile electronics and shop management, isn't it fair to pay him 40%?

No...  If you pay the installer 40% then you have to pay 7.5% on top of that for the employers portion of taxes.  Now you are 47.5% owner of the company....  Now the other 52.5% goes towards rent, utilities, liability insurance, workers comp insurance, advertising, and finally materials... heaven forbid if the installer needs paid time off, government mandated insurance or paid sick leave.....   

Then after all of that if anything remains it is profit for the owner who is putting their personal guarantee on things to make them happen and are 100% liable if it all falls apart.  :facepalm2

. If you had an installer that could do tint, ppf, mobile electronics and shop management, isn't it fair to pay him 40%?

No... If you pay the installer 40% then you have to pay 7.5% on top of that for the employers portion of taxes. Now you are 47.5% owner of the company.... Now the other 52.5% goes towards rent, utilities, liability insurance, workers comp insurance, advertising, and finally materials... heaven forbid if the installer needs paid time off, government mandated insurance or paid sick leave.....

Then after all of that if anything remains it is profit for the owner who is putting their personal guarantee on things to make them happen and are 100% liable if it all falls apart. :facepalm2

Come on at commissioned employees pay their own taxes, don't fall under workmans comp, and almost guaranteed to be held liable if anything is damaged. So come up with something better than what your saying. Many companies screw up trying to treat their subs as employees, simply because neither understand the difference.

Last I checked the IRS was extremely clear about contract labor vs employees.

This thread I assumed was about what a shop owner should pay a experienced tinter ( employee ) who most definitely fall under workers comp.

Of course if you are providing contract labor and providing your own liability/commercial auto insurance then I would be arguing a different % because there are expenses the employer gets to pass on to the contract laborer....

Perhaps you are confused MasterTinter ??

Guest filbertr6

This thread I assumed was about what a shop owner should pay a experienced tinter ( employee ) who most definitely fall under workers comp.

Of course if you are providing contract labor and providing your own liability/commercial auto insurance then I would be arguing a different % because there are expenses the employer gets to pass on to the contract laborer....

You may want to check again, all though I am in Canada, many of our rules regarding sub contractors are very similar, and it works just fine here!  Good luck with your pay structure, my final advice would be simply to, "Ask your self how much money you want to make, and how are you going to make it with the products and help available to you?"  In this industry, the help really is the product, not the film!  If you were selling cars, you would invest $30,000.00 to make only a few thousand bux!  If you ask me, investing say $130.00 to pocket even only 50 bux is a much better deal!  In comparison, "if the last equation were a vehicle it would work out that you would stand to make $11,500.00 on your $30,000.00 investment, instead of only 3000.00, " The ROE is Much better than selling cars"!  Don't under value the help, and over value your investment!  ANy one good who is going to come and help you work from a young point in the industry is taking a huge risk, dont forget that if their going to accept 20% for example, why wouldnt they just go to the 20 year tint business owner who all ready is capable of bringing in 50 cars a week or more.  Your 40% may equal out to less money than the busy shops 20%, so why should they come work for you?  And don't answer with promises promises promises...  ANy one can promise work and pay, only a shop that all ready has the work can prove it!  Again, good luck to you!

Guest filbertr6

* I meant ROI not ROE, "return on investment", the rest of it I'm not going to try to explain again, and I will have another beer thank you! CHEERS  lmao. Damn Canadian tinters Eh!

The original thread question was "how much is an experienced auto tinter worth", not (tinter employee). Most tinters work on commission.

Archived