How much to pay an experienced auto window tinter?

Guest 2207WEST

Guest Tinter24

In no way is this intended to offend anyone. maybe different areas of the country or world are different but ive talked to many shop owners in my area and paying a tinter 40% is nuts. 25% is the highest ive heard (again this is my area) and salary with 10% is the highest. The way i look at it is my business expenses are X, I need to be paid as well as my employee. If X goes to the business for every car and Y goes in my pocket after his 40% the employee makes $2 less per car then i do. Why would you give so much of the business away? i would rather do 4 cars a day by myself then to do 8 with an employee at 40% just my 2 cents.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i would rather do 4 cars a day by myself then to do 8 with an employee at 40% just my 2 cents.

:bingo

And thats where you will stay, 4 maybe 5 a day.

On the other hand if you pay him enough to make him not think about another job?

And you go get some more work?

then..maybe need to hire another guy?

See where i,m going with this?

In tx we handpaint a lot of stripes, in 1989 i did maybe 10-15 a day, 1990 i got a helper started doing 15-25 and was done earlier.

1991 helper started striping, he did 5-10 a day. So i got another helper. Wound up with 6 guys running around the city, happy as clams being 20yrs old making 2k a week.

Then i started dinging them and just genrally being greedy.

Moral is,if hes good pay him and treat him well. If your worth it shoulnt he be? My.02

Guest Tinter24

Im not saying ill never hire anyone, im saying 40% is nuts! thats not an employee thats a partner. If i payed an employee every tinter in the area would be knocking down my door for a job. not going to get into prices but for him to do 5 cars a day 6 days a week hed be making over 3 grand a week........NO WAY i pay help that much!

Im not saying ill never hire anyone, im saying 40% is nuts! thats not an employee thats a partner

i would rather do 4 cars a day by myself then to do 8 with an employee at 40% just my 2 cents.

For what I charge, I hope so . I won't fix what's not broke .

There's more ways than 1 way to run a successful business .

My way has worked for me for almost 30 yrs , glad your way works for you :thumb

+ I'm an introvert so I have no choice :rollin

Im not saying ill never hire anyone, im saying 40% is nuts! thats not an employee thats a partner. If i payed an employee every tinter in the area would be knocking down my door for a job. not going to get into prices but for him to do 5 cars a day 6 days a week hed be making over 3 grand a week........NO WAY i pay help that much!

And then you would have the pick of the litter!! And have the 2 best tinters in town!! :o

Im not saying ill never hire anyone, im saying 40% is nuts! thats not an employee thats a partner

For what I charge, I hope so . I won't fix what's not broke .

There's more ways than 1 way to run a successful business .

My way has worked for me for almost 30 yrs , glad your way works for you :thumb+ I'm an introvert so I have no choice :rollin

Whatever works for you is good. Running a crew is a career unto itself.

Guest Denisse Higgins

If paid commision I think 30% is fair 

We pay 30% commission and they make about $700 to $1000 a week each tinter with 2 days off a week.  I think its fair but one of my tinters told me on Saturday morning that he has been offered 40% at 2 other shops.. my husband asked him why doesn't he go there?  I told him to take the day off on Saturday (his big money day) because on Friday he decided not to show up at all.  After having heard what he told my husband I decided to call him up and fire him.  We have done a lot for him to help him with his living situation for him to not be loyal to us.  We treat tinters with respect and even buy them lunch when the shop is busy.  30% is pretty fair in my book!!

If paid commision I think 30% is fair 

We pay 30% commission and they make about $700 to $1000 a week each tinter with 2 days off a week.  I think its fair but one of my tinters told me on Saturday morning that he has been offered 40% at 2 other shops.. my husband asked him why doesn't he go there?  I told him to take the day off on Saturday (his big money day) because on Friday he decided not to show up at all.  After having heard what he told my husband I decided to call him up and fire him.  We have done a lot for him to help him with his living situation for him to not be loyal to us.  We treat tinters with respect and even buy them lunch when the shop is busy.  30% is pretty fair in my book!!

30% of $700-1000 goes to Uncle Sam, so that equates to a weekly take home of $475-700; not bad, but not the greatest given the lack of benies and have to shell out for all social security. Geez, I paid 30% commish in the 80's; these days 40%+ is what it takes to keep a good tinter happy and more likely loyal.

Archived