How much to pay an experienced auto window tinter?

Guest 2207WEST

If paid commision I think 30% is fair 

We pay 30% commission and they make about $700 to $1000 a week each tinter with 2 days off a week. I think its fair but one of my tinters told me on Saturday morning that he has been offered 40% at 2 other shops.. my husband asked him why doesn't he go there? I told him to take the day off on Saturday (his big money day) because on Friday he decided not to show up at all. After having heard what he told my husband I decided to call him up and fire him. We have done a lot for him to help him with his living situation for him to not be loyal to us. We treat tinters with respect and even buy them lunch when the shop is busy. 30% is pretty fair in my book!!
30% of $700-1000 goes to Uncle Sam, so that equates to a weekly take home of $475-700; not bad, but not the greatest given the lack of benies and have to shell out for all social security. Geez, I paid 30% commish in the 80's; these days 40%+ is what it takes to keep a good tinter happy and more likely loyal.

I totally agree, cost of living is significantly higher now. 30% commission is no way to pay a seasoned skilled tinter who you intend to remain loyal to your company.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest filbertr6

How much is an experienced auto tinter worth?

Experience is not "All That"!  I know many truly "experienced installers",

One is just useless on the best of days for reasons unknown after twenty something years with window films, which I confirmed with multiple film distributors who have met him over the years. "why he still seeks and lands tint jobs is beyond me." he is really good at being bossed around though... 

Another is an alcoholic who needs three trips a day to the bar just to function, and loose the shakes "16 years experience". 

The most experienced I know is nearly 30 years experienced, addicted to oxycontin and recently fired as he destroys cars, and falls asleep while standing up... Has not landed another job in six months to the best of my knowledge.

Last but not least, the guy with the the least experience, 31 years old, 15 years experienced, energetic, great with customers, smart, no vices, pristine installs, generates lots of revenue, natural leader, has allowed a 25 year long shop owner to venture into other sources of income for the first time since opening their business!  This guy is priceless to an owner IMO!  30% may be an insult to him if he has ever tasted higher margins!...  Be careful not to insult the keepers, because there is a tonne of trash out there!

Guest filbertr6

Not sure how anyone justifies paying 40% to an installer and running a successful business ... Maybe after expenses .... But gross ?? How does that pencil ??

Simple. GROWTH "what any new or stuck business should be focused on!" A business owner who completely rely's on some one to do all of the work, needs to manage the work well enough that the business is able to grow, and recognize that relying on some one so heavily, comes at a cost...  Introduce new products, new employees, new services...  The 40% employee may now be offered an opportunity to manage new lower paid employees, earn a smaller piece of a bigger pie, which should be a good thing for the owner and the installer who helped them get there!  Every year or so, offer the 40% employee opportunities to earn from total shop sales, ie. only 20 % of 3 times as much revenues!!!  The guy is now costing the business a smaller percent, but earning the business and him self more money!!!  Every one is happy!

Basically, percentages of your KEY employees can come down, as you offer them residual income from the business they have helped allow you you to build!  If the business is just two people, you are partners whether you like it or not, only difference is, the owner is actually the boss as well as partner!

I guess that was my whole point... A employee at 40% is not an employee they are a partner. Only difference is they are a partner with zero liability and risk in the business venture....

Guest filbertr6

I guess that was my whole point... A employee at 40% is not an employee they are a partner. Only difference is they are a partner with zero liability and risk in the business venture....

You are correct, but if you don't have the skills or time to start this business on your own, you need to assume more liability and risk.   , you do how ever have options... you can get a partner who does have the skills and time, or you need to learn the skills and find the time, or you can anti up and purchase a business where another owner either had the skills or assumed all the risk and built a pay structure over time that appeals more to you.  Of course the last option will come at a cost, because that person has done everything you don't seem to want to do! "No offence as that last sentence sounds offensive but is not meant to".  Also don't forget that all though your employee assumes no risk, they are how ever at your mercy!  And that is scary in a new business even to some one who is in their position, most good installers "people" are looking for job security just like every one else!

I can't get 20% out here in Colorado. I'm about to open my own shop again just in CO.

I was paying my helpers back home in chicago 20% and they couldnt ever tint. Shiv I would completely run a shop for 40% Phones, ordering, invoices, customer service, tint, clear bra. GOD! That's what I wished for when I moved here. Greedy owners think they should pay me 25 bucks to spend 2.5 hours on a car they get 240.00 for lol and the one dude used suntek standard @ 220 a 4 door!

This is a good conversation and I now have a reference in a few months when I am hiring some help at my shop.

As someone stated previously, there are many variables to consider when trying to figure this out. I have worked for both shop owners who tint themselves and the ones that can't and don't have the will to learn. Now the strange thing is that owners that can tint usually pay their installers what they are worth 27 to 32% for a guy that can do 4 to 5 clean installs a day because the company is charging good coin for the jobs that roll out. Take that same installer and put him in the company where the owner can't tint a lick. Now he is pressured to roll out as many cars as can usually around 8 to 9 for 20 to 25%, if the installer damages a car he is responsible for it out of pocket, has to redo a window or two and the company charges the installer for the waste. I've seen this happen to myself and many other good installers. If you had an installer that could do tint, ppf, mobile electronics and shop management, isn't it fair to pay him 40%?

Archived