Removing 7 mil combination safety/solar film

Got to remove the above from approx 100 panes, 8ft x 4ft, done 2 on Saturday and it was a pig, tinted layer seperated from the safety and the safety was s**t to remove, any tips guys.

Is it better to try and get both layers and start at the top allowing for more pressure when pulling down?

I think I read on here that someone sliced the film with thier knife in approx 8inch strips and that helped removal.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Bob

icon9.gif

the best way ive removed security is to cut 2 TO 3 inche strips like a maze going from on side to the other, this is the best technique ive found. cut from one side to the other but note all the way to the edge and on the next line start 3 inches off the all the way to the edge..."like a giant maze running from one side to the next" IMPORTANT CHANGE BLADES OFTEN

Thanks for the prompt reply Jeff.

Do you mean cut from the edge at one side and stop 3 inches from the opposite edge, come down a couple of inches and go back along and continue doing it that way.

Or 3 inch strips from edge to edge.

Thanks again

Got to remove the above from approx 100 panes, 8ft x 4ft, done 2 on Saturday and it was a pig, tinted layer seperated from the safety and the safety was s**t to remove, any tips guys.

Is it better to try and get both layers and start at the top allowing for more pressure when pulling down?

I think I read on here that someone sliced the film with thier knife in approx 8inch strips and that helped removal.

Bob

icon9.gif

Cut the film in to vertical strips around 8” wide start at the top and as you pull down you can use your weight and keep you arms strait. And when you cut the film in to strips keep your blade at a 45 degree angle or less so you will not scratch the glass.

And if the sun is on them it may come off easier. :dumbass

Bob

icon9.gif

As for the removal of the adhesive Just add a lot more soap (I would use Ivory dish soap) to your tank if you are using a 3 gallon tank use like a 5 second squirt as then the water will stay on the adhesive longer and let it sit for a few min till it appears to be getting a translucent (milky) look to it and start at the top with one or 2 horizontal passes so you will have a clean starting point and start to scrape downward in one motion as in not going up and down with the scaper.so one pass down lift of the glass go back to the top and repeat. And if you have any dry glue areas rewet as needed .then for your final scrape rewet and move your scraper horizontally back and forth.

the best way ive removed security is to cut 2 TO 3 inche strips like a maze going from on side to the other, this is the best technique ive found. cut from one side to the other but note all the way to the edge and on the next line start 3 inches off the all the way to the edge..."like a giant maze running from one side to the next" IMPORTANT CHANGE BLADES OFTEN

Jeff he will be on a ladder and you want him to pull off horizontal strips. So what happens when the film lets go all of a sudden he falls off the ladder? :hug:lol

Or would you just stand on your tank :lol2:lol2:hug :dumbass

l_5b0bd4d16d734546b3293a6ad059dcad.jpg

Archived