removing sprayed on film

Guest bullheadpond

Guest bullheadpond

I have a picture window that I believe has the low e or tint facing on the outward glass instead of the inside like it should be. IF I wash it with a scouring pad all it does leave wipe marks where a little bit of the tint seems to com off at a time. Looks terrible. Does anyone know what I could use to get the spared on tint off? Would ammonia work for this like it does for film tint?

tried a razor blade but it only gets off a little bits and leaves markes as well.

The window was a repalcement window for my home summer home in another state and I didn't get it in for like a year after I bought it and needless to say the company I bought the window from went out of business.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have a picture window that I believe has the low e or tint facing on the outward glass instead of the inside like it should be. IF I wash it with a scouring pad all it does leave wipe marks where a little bit of the tint seems to com off at a time. Looks terrible. Does anyone know what I could use to get the spared on tint off? Would ammonia work for this like it does for film tint?

tried a razor blade but it only gets off a little bits and leaves markes as well.

The window was a repalcement window for my home summer home in another state and I didn't get it in for like a year after I bought it and needless to say the company I bought the window from went out of business.

Thanks

is it window film or low e coating? describe exactly what comes off with the pad or razor.

Guest mr3y1956

Thanks

A few drops of Joy detergent in a spray bottle.

Wet the window liberally

cut plastic trashbags into large rectangles and place over the wet glass

Soak for 45 minutes

Remove trash bags and begin scrapping.

Should start peeling off in larger pieces.

Good luck and keep your other hand in your back pocket so you don't slice it with the razor blade!!

Guest bullheadpond

it's kind of like if you scraped paint but a lot tinier . like millimeter ices scraping off. The window is full of swirl makes from me trying to get this stuff off. the color is kind of like a very light flat bronze or light tan color. you can see through the window from outside or inside whichis why I thought maybe it is a low e spayed on tint .

Guest mr3y1956
it's kind of like if you scraped paint but a lot tinier . like millimeter ices scraping off. The window is full of swirl makes from me trying to get this stuff off. the color is kind of like a very light flat bronze or light tan color. you can see through the window from outside or inside whichis why I thought maybe it is a low e spayed on tint .

If it's spray tint, when you soak it, it will become soft.

I'm not aware of any low E spray on coating, so I am only assuming that it's old flow coating.

Guest scottydosnntkno

I don't know what it could be, since its a replacement I would assume its relatively new :beer

the low-e coating would be on the inside face of the pane of glass on a dual pane window, which one depends on whether its designed to keep heat IN, or keep it OUT.

honestly, I'd say whatever it is wasn't supposed to come off, and you probably damaged the glass/coating by using a "scouring" pad. If its one of the green/brown ones then it definately did scratch the glass, as only the white ones are safe for glass.

does the razor slide across the glass or does it seem to dig in and get caught. if its sliding on the glass not getting caught then you are damaging some coating on the glass. I've encountered glass with coatings that couldn't be scraped. only a couple of times and I can't answer the question as to what the coating may be. you probably can't get it clear looking unless its film you've scraped.

It is possible that when the replacement window was being assembled that the surface with the low-e coating was accidentially 'fliped' and ended up on an 'outside' surface.

What you are describing sounds to be exactly that.

Your only solution will more than likely be to get that pane replaced (yet again) unfortunately... :beer

It is possible that when the replacement window was being assembled that the surface with the low-e coating was accidentially 'fliped' and ended up on an 'outside' surface.

What you are describing sounds to be exactly that.

Your only solution will more than likely be to get that pane replaced (yet again) unfortunately... :beer

Al kidding aside though..this is what I was thinking..

Archived