What is Chip Dyed Color Extruded

Guest scottydosnntkno

to piggy back with howards post, since its the same thing in the auto plastic industry(what my dad does)

"raw" or natural plastic pellets look like this:

Plastic-Resin-handful.jpg

and pellets for a "chip dyed" film look like this:

grayscale-plastic-pellets.jpg

notice the ratio of natural to colored chips. window film takes a much higher concentration of the "colorant" as it is called, due to its thinness and the fact that it still needs to have its color. just about any plastic piece on your car is injection molded, and their pellets have a much lower ratio of colorant to natural due to the fact colorant is extremely expensive, and the thickness of the part makes it not as necessary to have the large amounts of colorant. As an example, say the window film pellets are 50/50 colorant/natural(probably more than that) so thats 1:1 colorant:natural. auto plastics on the other hand are more like 1:50 or 100, because of the thickness of the part, much less colorant is needed, even for colors like black and brown. In the auto industry if the injector doesn't mix the pellets enough, the color "runs" or the finished part has slightly opaque spots, because there was too much natural in that area so it was slightly transparent. Its really quite amazing to see in person.

as has been said, theoretically having the color imbeded into the film is better than having the plastic dyed, because the "natural" for the chip dyed film is to retain its color.

Guest auricwealth
Most films are extruded as clear polyester and are subsequently dyed. CP/Llumar, Global (Garware) and most recently Sun-Tek (according to WF Mag) are the only ones with this dying capability.

During SEMA, this factory told me that they are the only one in Asia dyeing with CP/Garware method. Please correct me if I am wrong.

www.polycolor.com.tw

Chip dyed films (such as True Black) have the color embedded into the chips before extrusion. The chips are actually black (as opposed to clear).

Thanks for sharing, why wouldn't also they add UV agents into chips?

Thanks!

Guest auricwealth
You are wrong, IMHO...About Polycolor...

oic, then who else in asia can do that like cp (not chip-extruded)?

Toray-Japan

WOW! Thanks, minimal effort from Toray if they wanna do that.

Archived