More price increases

Just got an email that 3M is jacking their prices up by another 5%, further reinforcing my reasoning to get out of the business. There comes a point where your prices are so high that it makes no sense for the customer to protect their car. Not everybody drives a Ferrari and can afford $1000 to put film on it. In my area, that market is not there. I've been doing this for 5 years. In that time, I've seen my wholesale price decline due to low ballers and my profits taken away by film/pattern increases. When I first started, my first order was a roll of 18 and 24. Now I'm paying what both those cars for a single roll of 24. What am I getting for that money? Absolutely nothing. It's the same film I bought years ago. I'm taking a manufacturing class as part of my engineering degree. There is no where near the materials cost in a roll of film. Even a 100% mark up, the materials cost is a fraction. Someone is lining their pockets somewhere.

Where's the increase in Venture? I've got a Venture installer doing cars for $300. Now I'm even at more of a disadvantage because I've got a price increase and he doesn't. Am I being screwed by the same company that I spend thousands with every year? Anybody who's been around long enough knows that price talks at dealerships. Quality only goes so far.

What people fail to realize, is this competes with other products the dealership sells. If we have to keep increasing our prices, it makes it less attractive to sell. Are they going to sell film to a customer and make $300? or sell paint sealant for half as much with the same profit margin?

This is a lot of bitching for a 5% increase, but it's like a cell phone plan. Everything is "only" 5%. Year after year it adds up.

Guest Sunlimited

This is the second post I've seen with mention of outrageousley low venture prices. I want to know where these people are getting their film from, (if it is venture), because that doesn't make sense...I hear you man it sucks...Good luck, you may want to edit that post though, take out the dollar amounts... :spit

If he is doing Venture installs for $300 then he isnt making anything on the install. A kit (partial hood, partial fenders, bumper, light, and mirrors) is at least that... if not more. So he is either doing the bumper only or he is cutting corners somewhere. I would like to see the film he is using because I doubt its Venture (if doing the above areas). Either way he wont be in business long. You cant do installs on that small of a profit margin.

As far as 3M goes, that film is garbage and I wouldnt put it on any of my vehicles. I have seen to many issues with it cracking down here in the Texas heat and lets not even get into the orange peel that film has.

Heat's the last thing I've got to worry about in NY. The problem here is fall out/salt/bugs. 3M is the only one that holds up to it. I've had other films dull out and stain. I was at a dealership that's got a Venture inhouse that I'm slowly (VERY slowly) taking over and the head guy was complaining about not only their poor installs, but also how the film got sticky when hot. I did have good luck with Avery buffing it back on a Mini I did, but average Joe with his appliance Camry isn't going to take care of it like that.

That price is correct about the Venture installer, I've had a dealership show me a price list. For a little more, he does the trunk opening, wheel arches, and rocker panels. This guy would make more money flipping burgers and has no business doing PPF. The problem with PPF, and tint for that matter, is there's no industry standards. It's always been give us your $1000 for a vague approximation of training and here's your certificate. It's not like other businesses where there is some type of required quality consistency, quality rating, or even a price structure. I've learned more about this business from Speed and Rob @ Proform for free than I ever did in a training course.

Seems like more installers at the wholesale level in PPF in our area.....These high prices for ''OK'' type films are what keep this field less saturated at the retail level....I have talked to many dealer service managers and they all have bad new story's about those browny sticky jobs sold at showroom...so the new car level needs upselling.

Lorenzo,

Do you really use ClearShield for your installs? That's amazing if you do. I had to undo another one of Ziebart's hack jobs last week and thought it felt like plastic. From the looks of it, they haven't figured out how to stretch it from the 1in gaps I saw. Obviously you're doing something they aren't!

BTW, I was at the restoration shop that's working on my race car yesterday. I noticed everything they had was Norton, last time I was there it was all 3M. The owner said 3M got too expensive. It looks like we aren't the only ones getting jacked. He said another huge body shop chain switched to Norton for the same reason. I'm not sure how much money you're making when you lose an entire account over a price increase.

I've already got job offers and I'm not even done with my degree until May.....I can't wait to get out of this zoo!

Lorenzo,

Do you really use ClearShield for your installs? That's amazing if you do. I had to undo another one of Ziebart's hack jobs last week and thought it felt like plastic. From the looks of it, they haven't figured out how to stretch it from the 1in gaps I saw. Obviously you're doing something they aren't!

BTW, I was at the restoration shop that's working on my race car yesterday. I noticed everything they had was Norton, last time I was there it was all 3M. The owner said 3M got too expensive. It looks like we aren't the only ones getting jacked. He said another huge body shop chain switched to Norton for the same reason. I'm not sure how much money you're making when you lose an entire account over a price increase.

I've already got job offers and I'm not even done with my degree until May.....I can't wait to get out of this zoo!

Seems to me from reading T/D that most dealer/resale installers use the cheapest cost matieral since the profit margins a thin.I had a N.J. Audi dealer [had fall out with their installer] call me to tint a 09 A6 and told me they will only pay 5 quarters to do it.I told him I would only do 2 doors for that number.I'm not sure who hung up the phone first.

Guest scottydosnntkno
If he is doing Venture installs for $300 then he isnt making anything on the install. A kit (partial hood, partial fenders, bumper, light, and mirrors) is at least that... if not more. So he is either doing the bumper only or he is cutting corners somewhere. I would like to see the film he is using because I doubt its Venture (if doing the above areas). Either way he wont be in business long. You cant do installs on that small of a profit margin.

As far as 3M goes, that film is garbage and I wouldnt put it on any of my vehicles. I have seen to many issues with it cracking down here in the Texas heat and lets not even get into the orange peel that film has.

thats the problem with buying precut kits(what I'm assuming based on those prices). just buy bulk and plotter cut your own patterns(I just hand cut everything from bulk rolls) and you can save a TON of money. I'm going to abide by TD's rules of not posting prices, but that number you said, I can do a full bumper, 24" hood/fender pieces, mirrors, and roofline for about 1/5-1/6 that cost in material. I hand cut it, so I have no plotter fees or anything, but still your looking at what 1/3 of that price. Still a lot of profit for 2 hours work, 100/per.

Guest scottydosnntkno
Lorenzo,

I use SG's ClearShield(not sure if its the same one your talking about?) and LOVE it. Venture gets too tacky when hot, 3m feels to thin and not workable enough, avery is okay but orange peels like mad, and with a steamer the clearshield lays down like butter.

Archived