Computer cut precuts

Guest AFdude

Guest AFdude

Howdy, board. I have an '03 ext. cab Tacoma with factory tint in back. I saw computer cut precuts for the front two windows on eBay for not a whole lot of money. I can either go Solargard or Madico Charcool, and either 20 or 35. First off, can any of ya'll tell me if these "computer cuts" are worthwhile or is it more of a gimmick? Second, which brand is preferable? And which % do you recommend? I think it'd be nice if they matched, but I also don't want to be too far outside the law.

I'm thinking it should be a fairly easy job since the glass is nice and flat and I can easily tape back the weather strip on the bottom. I plan to follow the tint dude installation instructions from the main page to the letter, and I appreciate any advice you pros might have. Thanks.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have a 2003 Tacoma....I have a 2001 Tacoma...you've never tinted. If you want it to look good take it to a pro!!!!!! Solargard is the film I use. I don't know enough about Madico to make a comment on it. As far as the darkness......STAY LEGAL FOR YOUR STATE!!!! Our main location uses computer cut patterns, my location does not. My patterns are ALWAYS better than the computers.

Guest Litespeeds

I guess it doesn't hurt to try so he will know how difficult it is to tint. Just be prepared to waste the money that you spend on the pre-cut film.

I don't believe computer cut films are 100% accurate. If you double cut a rollup window and expect it to fit almost perfectly on both rollups, surprise, the top edges usually don't line up unless you plan to trim it or leave a gap larger than 1/8".

I can see it working on some vehicles but the majority I find that a good tinter can hand cut it more accurately. :lol

As for the 2 types of film described, I would go with the one that is a HYBRID which is half metal and half dyed. Since you are planning on installing it yourself, there is no warranty for the film but if you bring it to a professional, we will give you a warranty because we are authorized to install the film.

I'm thinking it should be a fairly easy job since the glass is nice and flat

:lol CLASSIC!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here is what people on the internet think about tinting their own windows.

EarDrummin.

Not a good idea. I've seen a lot of botched jobs, and if you've seen what a botched job looks like, you'll have air bubbles, spots, creases.. then you'll have to do it all over again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RangerMan

Your better off to get it done professionally...would you fly an airplane if you were not a pilot???

bumpinthanite

I dunno..tint can be really hard to get right. A few of my friends have tint, as well as myself, and you can tell who had it done professionally and who tried it themself. The way I see it, why throw away 80 or more dollars on tint that will probably have to be re-done? Then you're out more money than you'd like to be. Not to say that you can't do it, it's just that it's not that easy. I learned the hard way...lol. Professional is worth the extra money. Just my two cents

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Registered

I recently just had my tinting professionaly done. I have no regrets about spending the extra money on having them do it. It cost me $200 ($180 for Passenger, Driver, Rear, and two quarter windows - $20 for a sunstrip on the windshield). Like most of the others have said, this is somewhere where you probably want to let the pros do it. It had never crossed my mind to do it myself due to all the terrible (and I do mean terrible) jobs I have seen around by people doing it themselves. Also at most respectable shops you get a guarantee of no bubbling, no peeling, and no fading/discoloration, so you're pretty much worry free. It'd be quite the other case if you did it yourself.

Just remember most shops have computerized cutters, the correct tools and materials, and most of all the experience.

abercrombie2582

yeah, I tried it, it was alright, but it was too bubbly, and it made my windows look like crap. Leave this up to a professional!!!!

91Sunbird

I tried tinting my own windows, I only wasted my money and time. I gurantee you will get really frustrated. You wont like the bubbles and its hard to cut it good. Its so much easier to have it done professionally, and it will look 100% better!

kottonmouth

I tinted my windows myself to save money and it turned out with no bubbles. but you can still tell a little difference between mine and a professional job. I did my car for $50. I hate bubles so I had to redo one of the windows. so now there are no bubles. but that sh!t is hard as hell. just take it to a prof.

Archived