Deja Vu - All over again!

There is a very strict federal law against car dealers/repair shops, etc modifying safety equipment(ie window film on cars) There was a federal lawsuit years ago,forget when, "blue sky group vs. ?" if my memory is correct, which exempted tint installers from the federal law, as they where not car dealers or repair shops which are covered by the law. I think a call to IWFA director Darrell Smith or our leg. consultant Lynwood Buntner might be in order, we pay them enough, they should be able to show the dealers the light

What are you talking about??? Are you talking about putting illegal tint on cars?? Like front windows in CA...??

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just wait till their Plotter breaks and they have cars that HAVE to be done NOW!!!

They will be on the phone wanting to be your friend to help them out.

If that were to happen, I would tell them prices have gone up and your best price is 30% higher than what they were paying you before, and you have to have payment upon completion.

Depends on the tinter...! If they want to be better they will learn to hand cut too!

Just wait till their Plotter breaks and they have cars that HAVE to be done NOW!!!

If that were to happen, I would tell them prices have gone up and your best price is 30% higher than what they were paying you before, and you have to have payment upon completion.

Depends on the tinter...! If they want to be better they will learn to hand cut too!

Guest ZergRush
Someone shoot me please! :lol2:lol2

You do deserve the biggest kick up the arse known to man. :lolredturbo3.gif

Learn by your mistakes....don't do dealer work.

OMG is it not screaming out at you?

These dealers are like parasites and you are letting them feed off your carcass.

Dump 'em and move on in another tinting direction and be wiser for the move.

Devil

Methinks everyone is cutting costs in this down economy. Yes- sometimes at the expense of quality.

All the same I agree with Devil, the future is in residential, retail, and small and large commercial.

There is a very strict federal law against car dealers/repair shops, etc modifying safety equipment(ie window film on cars) There was a federal lawsuit years ago,forget when, "blue sky group vs. ?" if my memory is correct, which exempted tint installers from the federal law, as they where not car dealers or repair shops which are covered by the law. I think a call to IWFA director Darrell Smith or our leg. consultant Lynwood Buntner might be in order, we pay them enough, they should be able to show the dealers the light

What are you talking about??? Are you talking about putting illegal tint on cars?? Like front windows in CA...??

It was a long time ago, it was related to installers modifying safety equipment, ie auto windows, which are considered safety equip. My recollection was the feds lost the suit because installers are not specifically a car dealer or repair shop, and are thus exempt from the fed law. Once again, check with the IWFA people, they surely remember the specifics. The main point is I am curious how a new car dealer, who is covered under the fed regulations, can legally tint a car themselves, as they are modifying safety equipment, where as hiring a separate tint installing company would be exempt under the "Blue Sky Group" ruling. Worth some research

Thanks to all who read and responded. It means a lot. :lol

Anyway I thought I would respond directly to some of you. So here it goes...

That sucks hope it'll get better for you!! Too bad they started to go with the plotters and the youtube tinters!!

It will. I'm better prepared this time around than the last time it happened.

any chances to go in a more retail orientated direction to keep a little more control over those major hits.

That's why I'm better prepared this time around.

how much will they save by going in house. where did they find the installer. are your prices in line with the market in your area. stealerships always want things discounted. with this economy some times its better to cut back than to loose it all together. I tell my guys loosing 10 bucks is better than no bucks at all.

I got this dealership's prices at 1990 prices. They love my prices and my work. This is the service manager trying to look good before the owner and make the store more money.

That does suck, but remember this. 90% of the time "digi" dealerships always come to the conclusion that the system/tinter/buy-in sucks. Which it does. Check in with them every week, and look at the quality of work being done. And make sure You point out ALL the flaws. There will be many, trust Me. :twocents

I agree pop in once every two weeks and see how they like it and how is the new guy? You know the new guy will either get impatient and quit or he will ask you for advice and then the reply is "I don't work here"

Sorry to here the dealerships sh!t on you AGAIN

I like the way you think. Great suggestion dude :bingo

any chances to go in a more retail orientated direction to keep a little more control over those major hits. either way it sucks, but ya gotta protect your neck.

here's an idea... buy a plotter ...

I own one, use it every day and take my patterns to the store and install on location. I think that why they think they can tint too. I make it look too easy.

Believe me I intend to do just that.

Someone shoot me please! :mad:shoot2

You do deserve the biggest kick up the arse known to man. :007:nope

Learn by your mistakes....don't do dealer work.

OMG is it not screaming out at you?

These dealers are like parasites and you are letting them feed off your carcass.

Dump 'em and move on in another tinting direction and be wiser for the move.

Devil

Thanks for all your support. :nope And I get it, and I HAVE gone more retail this year than ever before - thus I'm better off to deal with it this time around. But I have done dealer work since '86 and have grown accustomed to it. Hey, they keep me eatin' in the winter. :dunno

Just go after more retail,no matter how good you are,how good your prices are,how fast you are,how reliable you are a car dealer will always :bdog in the end sooner or later :coffee

Doing just that!

By the way, did I say this service manager came from another Dealership that actually made the Digicrap program work for them going on 5 years now? So now I'm sure he thinks he can make it work at his store too.

Also, I guess DigiCrap now pre-shrinks the rear glass too. So now you don't need to buy a plotter, just order what you need and install. "Easy Peasy!" Ya Right!

It was a long time ago, it was related to installers modifying safety equipment, ie auto windows, which are considered safety equip. My recollection was the feds lost the suit because installers are not specifically a car dealer or repair shop, and are thus exempt from the fed law. Once again, check with the IWFA people, they surely remember the specifics. The main point is I am curious how a new car dealer, who is covered under the fed regulations, can legally tint a car themselves, as they are modifying safety equipment, where as hiring a separate tint installing company would be exempt under the "Blue Sky Group" ruling. Worth some research

I'm not sure you are correct about this. :lol If this were true NO dealership would tint cars before the sale.

I'm not sure you are correct about this. :lol If this were true NO dealership would tint cars before the sale.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=888&...pg=3430,5114705

more to come as I search the net

Archived