Deja Vu - All over again!

Guest scottydosnntkno
There is a very strict federal law against car dealers/repair shops, etc modifying safety equipment(ie window film on cars) There was a federal lawsuit years ago,forget when, "blue sky group vs. ?" if my memory is correct, which exempted tint installers from the federal law, as they where not car dealers or repair shops which are covered by the law. I think a call to IWFA director Darrell Smith or our leg. consultant Lynwood Buntner might be in order, we pay them enough, they should be able to show the dealers the light

What are you talking about??? Are you talking about putting illegal tint on cars?? Like front windows in CA...??

It was a long time ago, it was related to installers modifying safety equipment, ie auto windows, which are considered safety equip. My recollection was the feds lost the suit because installers are not specifically a car dealer or repair shop, and are thus exempt from the fed law. Once again, check with the IWFA people, they surely remember the specifics. The main point is I am curious how a new car dealer, who is covered under the fed regulations, can legally tint a car themselves, as they are modifying safety equipment, where as hiring a separate tint installing company would be exempt under the "Blue Sky Group" ruling. Worth some research

I'm not sure you are correct about this. :dunno If this were true NO dealership would tint cars before the sale.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=888&...pg=3430,5114705

more to come as I search the net

it looks to me as if that article specifically states the lawsuit was for installing too DARK of tint, not tint in general.

plus, there wouldn't be extremely specific tint laws if tint was "illegal" in the first place :bingo

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is a very strict federal law against car dealers/repair shops, etc modifying safety equipment(ie window film on cars) There was a federal lawsuit years ago,forget when, "blue sky group vs. ?" if my memory is correct, which exempted tint installers from the federal law, as they where not car dealers or repair shops which are covered by the law. I think a call to IWFA director Darrell Smith or our leg. consultant Lynwood Buntner might be in order, we pay them enough, they should be able to show the dealers the light

What are you talking about??? Are you talking about putting illegal tint on cars?? Like front windows in CA...??

It was a long time ago, it was related to installers modifying safety equipment, ie auto windows, which are considered safety equip. My recollection was the feds lost the suit because installers are not specifically a car dealer or repair shop, and are thus exempt from the fed law. Once again, check with the IWFA people, they surely remember the specifics. The main point is I am curious how a new car dealer, who is covered under the fed regulations, can legally tint a car themselves, as they are modifying safety equipment, where as hiring a separate tint installing company would be exempt under the "Blue Sky Group" ruling. Worth some research

I'm not sure you are correct about this. :) If this were true NO dealership would tint cars before the sale.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=888&...pg=3430,5114705

more to come as I search the net

it looks to me as if that article specifically states the lawsuit was for installing too DARK of tint, not tint in general.

plus, there wouldn't be extremely specific tint laws if tint was "illegal" in the first place :shoot1

It was a long time ago, my memory isn't what it used to be. I just remember "Bluesky group" was the combined suit heading. I'm sure our IWFA reps remember it and can provide us with the correct info. I remember talking to Darrell Bragg about it years ago, but my memory was the main issue was it was against federal law to modify safety equipment by dealers and repair shops but tint installers are neither so the feds lost and never appealed. Just thought that further research might help in protecting installers from being cut out, who knows, might be worth a shot

here's a tip. Post an ad or a sign outside your shop saying:"we replace the $99.00 tint jobs and the car dealer tints jobs"!! :shoot1

I would but I'm mobile and have been for 24 years now. Have never been able to justify the cost of overhead in having a shop.

I guess I COULD put it on the side of my van... now there's an idea :)

just call and schedule them some no shows...3 or 4 a week...

I like that idea! :)

Although I probably wouldn't do it.

I try to do only dealer work.... I hate private customers. Dealers drop off car for the day, leave a PO# and have had maybe only 3 or 4 % complain about anything. Pivate customers are famous for not showing up or showing up late, wanting to watch you tint, ask you a million stupid questions ( Does that go on the outside?) pick apart your work... Pain in the @$$. Give me dealer work anyday.

Guest Bladez
I try to do only dealer work.... I hate private customers. Dealers drop off car for the day, leave a PO# and have had maybe only 3 or 4 % complain about anything. Pivate customers are famous for not showing up or showing up late, wanting to watch you tint, ask you a million stupid questions ( Does that go on the outside?) pick apart your work... Pain in the @$$. Give me dealer work anyday.

:nono

I have 1 delaer thats loyal but do about 1/2 what I did for them 2 yrs ago . But if you get a loyal dealer that you make decent mark up on it easy money . I have a computer cut and 90% of them are the same shades 35/15 . We precut and heat shrink 1-2 cars at a time and store them on our slow time . 2 guys can slam a corrolla out in 1/2 hr with the preshrunk patterns and rarely get complaints . clean new glass .

I have 1 delaer thats loyal but do about 1/2 what I did for them 2 yrs ago . But if you get a loyal dealer that you make decent mark up on it easy money . I have a computer cut and 90% of them are the same shades 35/15 . We precut and heat shrink 1-2 cars at a time and store them on our slow time . 2 guys can slam a corrolla out in 1/2 hr with the preshrunk patterns and rarely get complaints . clean new glass .

That is a good gig if you can get it. I don't go after dealer work but will do it if they come to me.

Archived