a new tool for final touches on a Back window

Guest thatsnappyguy
I think the big foot slammer and the bulldozer are better than that.

Where do I start..

You havn't read the thread if that's your comment :krazy

I own both of those ..the big boot slammer is WAY to flimsy for any pressure and the bulldozer isn't meant for what this tool is..a bulldozer is a squeegee on the end..not a hard card...not to mention both arent as long as this which was the main point :twocents

sorry I didnt read the entire thing b4. we have basically the same thing here at the shop but its not as long as that. I have used it

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sorry I didnt read the entire thing b4. we have basically the same thing here at the shop but its not as long as that. I have used it

You probably have the same one that they sell in auto stores everywhere..I own one as well..it's no where near as long not allowing you to use it while standing on the outside of a car and looking at the part of the back glass you want to reach with hand /eye coordination. I find the shorter one of very little use..plus it's only good for a scraper blade only..a lil' chizler will come out easy in that one if its the same I had kicking around here :twocents

Nice looking tool. Designs like the one you have pictured are how many of the tools in the industry started. The question is always which ones to decide to produce. Setting up to make a new tool usually requires the belief that roughly 5000 units can be sold over a reasonable time to recover the initial set-up costs. Many cool tool ideas are never produced as the ultimate market may only be a couple hundred units and the set-up costs cannot be recovered. That is the reason that many industry tools have been adapted from existing tools from other industries. Anyway, it is always interesting for me to see the tools that are being used in the field.

I would think that selling 5000 units wouldn't be so hard in this case keeping in mind one important thing about this tool ...I have a slightly "modified" lil' chizler in the receptacle ..but the receptacle is really meant fo a universal size scraper which would reach in hard to get to angles..so it's really 2 tools in one..the scraper part being much more beneficial to a wider array of potential customers..say detail workers for instance where they are trying to remove old crud on the bottom of a deep back window of an Intrepid for example. This tool is better than the existing ones out there for 2 reasons :

1. The receptacle is better because it screws down into a clamp to be totally tight to hold either the lil' chizler in or scraper blade..it does not just slide in and therefore sliding out when applying pressure when being torqued with pressure

2. The handle extension of this is longer than anything presently on the market giving it a better range of hard to reach areas.

What do I know..I'm just a tinter who modified existing stuff to make new stuff.

If any manufacturer is reading this..This aging tinter will gladly take 1 % of sales for it orngbiggrin.gif

It is a good idea no doubt and it may have appeal in other industries as well as you stated. I would have to look into the overall costs on making something like this. That is the other aspect. If making one specific causes the price to be $20.00 retail to make the production make sense, how many would still buy it if you can assemble one as you have for $10.00? Introducing a new tool is always tricky and much of the costs are sunk before you sell your first one. If you guess wrong, you just spent a bunch on money on making a tool that no one wants to buy. I do appreciate you sharing though and a design like what you are showing is something to definitely keep in mind. :spit

Archived