Trimming rubber seals

Guest scottydosnntkno
Why didn't you just install without trimming anything? Was it really needed? I never take the chance on removing or "trimming" the rubber seals, Just keep it tight on the gaps. In my opinion I think that you should replace them but I doubt it a cause of any leaks.

I trim rubber gaskets on commercial and residential all the time. Makes for NO light gap. Especially on the ones you can't remove, but the gasket is all wavy at the edge. Trim that mug off

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why didn't you just install without trimming anything? Was it really needed? I never take the chance on removing or "trimming" the rubber seals, Just keep it tight on the gaps. In my opinion I think that you should replace them but I doubt it a cause of any leaks.

I trim rubber gaskets on commercial and residential all the time. Makes for NO light gap. Especially on the ones you can't remove, but the gasket is all wavy at the edge. Trim that mug off

that's exactly what I did.....I just trim the "wavy" edge to get a straight edge to trim from if I am not able to remove the seals.

If the rubber gasket on the inside is the one they are relying on to stop water penetration, Than they have some serious issues. You should be able to completely remove those without ANY water at all getting in.

If the rubber gasket on the inside is the one they are relying on to stop water penetration, Than they have some serious issues. You should be able to completely remove those without ANY water at all getting in.

agreed :)

The plastic coving should also be water tight...

yeh.... I've been trimming seals for years (if not able to remove them) and haven't had any problems. Well.........spoke to the owner today and there weren't any leaks. The owner saw on some of the windows where the window installers had forgot to put in the rubber seals and called them back to put in the missing seals. So when they came they told the owner that some of the seals were trimmed and they will not warranty it in the future if something were to happen. I told the owner I will pay for the install of new trims, that way if it does break or have moisture problems, the owner won't be able to blame me for it. This is the first issue for me and will be my last also......won't let it happen again. Next time, gonna have it in writing that if they want zero light gaps and seals can't be removed, I won't be liable if they want the seals trim, otherwise they gonna have to live with the minute light gaps......

Does sound like customer is trying to get a freebe ... also sounds like the window had seal failure before it was tinted too ... that blows for you buddy, your probably gonna eat a window .... bunch of bulll@#% but thats how america works

Archived