Trimming rubber seals

I just did a job in which the rubber seals where not able to be removed, so I trimmed it some. Now the owner says there are water leaks coming from the seal and the owner called the window installer and they say that it's been trimmed so they won't warranty their work. I did trim it a little bit, but how can it cause water leak. Now they wont me to pay for it. Is this possible from just trimming a lil from the seal? Anyone knows how much for the seal replacement? Also, I did a walk around and did not see any water leak stains......

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why didn't you just install without trimming anything? Was it really needed? I never take the chance on removing or "trimming" the rubber seals, Just keep it tight on the gaps. In my opinion I think that you should replace them but I doubt it a cause of any leaks.

the custy wants dark film.....I've installed 20 silver and the custy said it was too light.....didn't want any light gaps. I don't see any water marks at all from the seals I've trimmed. I have pics of some of the windows where there were condensation before I lay the film on to protect myself. Anyways, if it comes down to it, I will most likely have the seals replaced and like jttint said have it written on paper and get refund if it's still "leak"........... I just looked online the seals are dry glaze top load wedge gaskets.....bout $60 bucks for 100ft.

Archived