Curved skylights - need some suggestions

I have had almost that exact situation. Here is what I did. back roll the film, duct tape the entire leading edge to the frame so when you are pulling the liner as you go, you wont pull the film off the frame. Yoy pull and someone behind you sprays...Alot. As you get about 1/3 of the way you are going to need someone to push the film up on to the SL in front of you so that you dont run out of room pulling off the liner. Kind of like Chinese algebra but it worked for us

Pretty good idea.

Here is what I have done. Reverse roll the film and attach the liner to the back of the film. Same idea as if you were doing it by yourself holding the film and letting it drop. However, The three of you will need to be up in the area. One holds the roll and back rolls it, one follows and tacks the film as it is unrolled and the third will have to spray as you go. You will be unrolling dry film and wetting as you unroll. I have done curved like this this way. Also have had to do it for exterior windows when light wind is an issue. Try it out. If you have questions, PM me and I will give ya my number.

How strong are those bars ? Can you put some 3/4 plywood up there and lay down and do it?

They are too thin... I wish we could remove them... it would make a HUGE difference. :(

I have had almost that exact situation. Here is what I did. back roll the film, duct tape the entire leading edge to the frame so when you are pulling the liner as you go, you wont pull the film off the frame. Yoy pull and someone behind you sprays...Alot. As you get about 1/3 of the way you are going to need someone to push the film up on to the SL in front of you so that you dont run out of room pulling off the liner. Kind of like Chinese algebra but it worked for us

With this film, or a different film? One idea I had was to RR it... but the liner is crazy hard to remove. More then your average PS film...

It was the same film. IE Madico anti blister for acrylic etc. Like I said, Make sure you duct tape the entire leading edge to a clean and dry frame. If you pull the liner straight and smooth you should have no problem getting it off. Keep the taped edge dry for about the first foot or so. That way the water will not compromise the tape

Guest VaTinterPMan

You dont have to shrink the film at all? Is that because it is the same size on both sides? Not like auto where the top of back glass is shorter than the bottom half of back glass?

VA - Flatglass films don't get shrunken...

Finished the job today. OMG... I don't think I've ever had such a bear of a job when it comes to tinting. We had I think 4 or 5 out of the 8 that still needed the blister free.... so we removed the liner from 1/2 of it... 5'... locked that in... then did 1/4 more... then the final 1/4 locking in as we went. That went MUCH easier. Still a chore, but at least we didn't have many problems that we were having last week.

Once all the lites had the BF film on... we moved onto the tinted film. First couple went fine... then I had one that was just fingering up like crazy and driving me nuts. I was close to calling it a day and going to the bar. Finally got that done and moved on to the next.... which went w/o any problems.

Job is done... getting paid way too little. lol But it's all good...

I'm training a new guy.. .and this is the first job he's ever been on/helped with. ha! I told him they only get easier.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions....

ROACH Why did you not apply the 2nd film over the BF film in shop a few days before :spit ,as then you would have had to apply just the one piece and you would have been done? :spit

ROACH Why did you not apply the 2nd film over the BF film in shop a few days before :spit ,as then you would have had to apply just the one piece and you would have been done? :duel

:spit

Can you do that?!?! Even if you could with the panes being 10' long.... I could see a HOST of other problems that could have come up doing it like that...

I'm sure I'll never have this come up again... at least I hope I never have to do it.

Of course, I'm probably the only one in my area that would even attempt to do it... which means $$$$$ if I do get a call for anything remotely like this again. :spit

I'll be in the area next week and I'll get some after pics.

ROACH Why did you not apply the 2nd film over the BF film in shop a few days before :lol2 ,as then you would have had to apply just the one piece and you would have been done? :lol6

:lol2

Can you do that?!?! Even if you could with the panes being 10' long.... I could see a HOST of other problems that could have come up doing it like that...

I'm sure I'll never have this come up again... at least I hope I never have to do it.

Of course, I'm probably the only one in my area that would even attempt to do it... which means $$$$$ if I do get a call for anything remotely like this again. :D

I'll be in the area next week and I'll get some after pics.

Good feeling getting those kinds of jobs outta the way. Way to get r done. Let me know if you need help on any jobs, sending you PM.

Archived