George R Brown conv center, Houston

Anyone know what brand of film was used on a job like that?

The spec was for suntek 11 mil and GE clear structural attachment.

For some reason, black was used (maybe Dow was on sale) :duel

It does say Commonwealth was the reference film, but I didnt see the mil req. Also, in some of the modified letters, people asked about Dow, and it was approved. Also, in the modified, it was asked if other films could be used, and they said yes as long as it had test data.

Physical Properties

3.1 Tensile Strength: 29,000 lbs/sq. inch.

3.2 Elongation percentage: greater than 100%.

3.3 5% Yield Strength: 15,000 lbs/sq. inch.

3.4 Break Strength: 290 lbs/sq. inch.

3.5 Tear Strength: 27.0 lbs. force.

3.6 Tensile Modulus: 550,000 lbs/sq. inch.

3.7 Puncture Strength: 175 lbs.

3.8 Poisson’s Ratio: .38.

3.9 Abrasion Resistance: less than 5%.

3.10 Scratch Resistance: Provide films that have 5.0 percent maximum haze increase when tested

to ASTM D 1044, using 100 revolutions, a CS-10F Taber abrading wheel and 500 g weights.

3.11 Surface Burning Characteristics: Provide films that have Flame Spread Index of 0 and

Smoke Development Index of 30 or less when tested in accordance to ASTM E 84.

:spit Dang, Junkie! Why you always gotta throw so many facts in the mix? :spit

I guess I should have said that was the mock-up Piece they already had installed there. I assumed it was spec.

Soooo..... there's one window there that doesn't match the rest! :spit

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont know and dont care. Next time I'll be there to try my bid. Its %&$# ty to think that the award was based on price though. Im sure Mr Feldman could give pointers towards beating a 3M bidder.

As long as the bid specification has legitimate performance characteristics winning against a 3M bid is like "falling off a log!" :asshat:

3M did not win this Houston deal.

The bid spec was SunTek 11 ML set by a local Suntek dealer/agent. Wayne Staley typically uses Armorcoat but I believe this 11 ML was in fact installed.

If you run into a 3M prestige spec that requires 97% IR rejection you will need to choose between educating the end user that there really is no film that does this; OR you play along and counter with another film that also makes similar claims. (think ASIAN)

Here's a current solicitation that fits this scenario: http://www.recovery.org/projectdetails.asp...p;gloc=Hinds%20[MS]*CNT:28049

BUT- - Make sure you stipulate that the product you are bidding is "American made" on Recovery Act projects.

Guest Tint Chick
I dont know and dont care. Next time I'll be there to try my bid. Its %&$# ty to think that the award was based on price though. Im sure Mr Feldman could give pointers towards beating a 3M bidder.

BUT- - Make sure you stipulate that the product you are bidding is "American made" on Recovery Act projects.

Exactly :asshat:

George R. Brown was done by Commercial Window Shields with SunTek 11 mil with 4 sided wet glaze. The sample window was installed with white dow. It did not look good, so GRB chose the black. I live in the Houston area and went to the bid meeting. This was out of my league to bid on, so I got with the winning bidder and asked if they need some help. I worked with them for a couple of months to help finish it. The job was completed on Dec 23.

Guest houston

what a large job , took a look at the grb windows and it looks good, it would have been nice to have installed , i didnt even know the company i work for put a bid in on that local job

Archived