GEM razor blades

Guest Scottsfire

Yea.....I'd like to know too. I use the non-stainless steal I get from Walmart to scrap my glass during cleaning, but have been thinking that the angle at which I hold the blade helps me not to scratch the glass. But I wonder if I should be using the stainless. You veterans out there.....what do you think about coated/uncoated or stainless???

Sorry for not getting a reply to you guys sooner. Just been busy the past couple of days. Here is the deal. The uncoated blade would be a standard stainless blaed as you all have grown to know them. The Gem brand blades are made of a low carbon 400 series stainless. This blade is fine for most situation that a tinter would want to use a blade.

The GEM Coated blades have a PTFE coating that allows for easier cutting through togher materials. Not really needed or warranted for standard window film related work.

Hope that helps.

Guest Scottsfire

Thanks PJ...........but am I ok using a normal Wally World razor blade for flat angled scrapping/cleaning of the glass??? Or like my knife, do I want that to be stainless too??

Guest scottydosnntkno
Thanks PJ...........but am I ok using a normal Wally World razor blade for flat angled scrapping/cleaning of the glass??? Or like my knife, do I want that to be stainless too??

for blades it makes no difference, and carbon are normally cheaper.

in one of my conversations with howard, I asked the same question since I had always bought stainless in the past, and he said they sell carbon 7:1 over stainless

The GEM Coated blades have a PTFE coating that allows for easier cutting through togher materials. Not really needed or warranted for standard window film related work.

Thanks PJF! Didn't know PTFE, but wiki states:

"In chemistry, polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) is a synthetic fluoropolymer of tetrafluoroethylene which finds numerous applications. PTFE is most well known by the DuPont brand name Teflon. PTFE has one of the lowest coefficients of friction against any solid."

Now I don't have to sweat the difference for my application, but it does seem like a coated blade may have an "edge" due to ease of cutting and low friction. In any case thanks for the quick reply - I emailed ARSCO, and never got a response.

:evilgrin

Archived