Don't buy cheap film.

Guest Scottsfire

Guest Scottsfire

Aaaahhhh.......had a customer today that didn't want to spend a lot but I needed the money so I did a little math, worked him up a bid with my cheap arse film and he accepted. In the end, I spend a ton of time trying to get the film to lay down and stick. At the end of the install I felt like chunkin the roll of film so I would never do that crap again. Seems like if I would have stuck to my good quality film and I'd have my day back.

The moral of this story is: you can use good film/adhesive or you can use cheap film and your labor cost/hours go up.......never again!

Any of you guys experience this and how do you offer different budget services/installs without wrangling with cheap crappy price point film?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dude ive tested and tried so many different film manus. and styles just before I started tinting peoples car because I wanted to know what worked good for me and looked the best and would please the custy..I found my film and still I take my time and work at my pace but yes cheaper films will cause ur day to go reallllllllllly shitttttty

Guest Scottsfire

I might just have to offer one good quality line and that's it, tell the custy to come back whenthey have more of their allowance! Ha ha!!!

Guest SIR TINTSALOT

A couple years ago I bought a few boxes of a 2 year film for cheap. Looked good once it was on the car, but took forever to install and get right. I was going to try and compete with the $99 guys for the cheap jobs. After a week I junked that idea. In fact I still got almost 3 boxes of film sitting on the shelf that I will probably never use.

Guest scottydosnntkno
I might just have to offer one good quality line and that's it, tell the custy to come back whenthey have more of their allowance! Ha ha!!!

could you really give him enough off your regular price in order to get the sale though just using a cheap film? The difference between a decent film and a cheap one for a full car is what, $20 at most? So on a full car tint job is lowering the price $20 really going to make someone whos cheap go for it?

Guest Scottsfire

Scotty.....I think my first mistake was giving him $60 off. My second mistake was putting to much math to it, I should have just said "X is what I'll do it for" from the hip...ya know. But you make a very good point, it should have only been about $20 off.

Learning from my mistakes.

BTW= By cheap film I mean CHEAP!!! I'm almost ashamed to say the name out loud...ha ha!

Guest scottydosnntkno
Scotty.....I think my first mistake was giving him $60 off. My second mistake was putting to much math to it, I should have just said "X is what I'll do it for" from the hip...ya know. But you make a very good point, it should have only been about $20 off.

Learning from my mistakes.

BTW= By cheap film I mean CHEAP!!! I'm almost ashamed to say the name out loud...ha ha!

solar free :cool:cool

but seriously, start doing standard pricing for every car. I charge the same for any two door car, whether its a g6(cake) vetter(pita) camaro/t/a(not too bad) or a convertible anything. In the end, it all evens out, and realistically I spend maybe 20 more minutes total on the hard cars.

Makes it easy when quoting. "hi I have a 2008 pontiac g6, how much to tint it?" "is it a two door or four door?" "two door" "everything but the windshield would be $---" no waiting, pausing, or haggling. Tell them the price is the price.

I used solarfree before and by god im glad I started with it.because I had so much trouble that when I moved to sun tek tinting anything was like wow that was easy.the liner on solarfree was a biotch and the film always had garbage in it

Archived