Subaru Forester

Guest Scottsfire

Guest Scottsfire

Hiya,

Doing a Subaru Forester on Saturday with frameless roll ups and was wondering if people are just heatig the edges of the film where the door makes contact with the gasket/frame near the roof or if taping the seals is necessary?

Also, seems like I'm going to have to dry shrink the back glass, what pattern are ya'll using? Horizontal tack running through the middle or "H", if so horizontal tack on "H" on the upper window or lower???

Thanks for any tips or tricks.

NOTE: I also plan on removing door panels for giggles.......I've got time! Any issues with this removal?

NOTE: I also plan on removing door panels for giggles......

:zzz

Uh...why would You remove door panels on a frameless window? :hmmm

And the only reason You tape gaskets is to keep felt out of the install.....the window isn't within 3 feet of the gaskets when the door is open, and being tinted....so why bother? :lol

Just cut Your patterns tight, and sling it on the glass. Easy. :lol

Guest Scottsfire
NOTE: I also plan on removing door panels for giggles......

blink.png

Uh...why would You remove door panels on a frameless window? :hmmm

I read somewhere on the forums (I thought) of a lower tight gasket which has been causing peel up. Is this not an issue?

And the only reason You tape gaskets is to keep felt out of the install.....the window isn't within 3 feet of the gaskets when the door is open, and being tinted....so why bother? :lol

Ha ha...true that true that but no I'm talking about the pressure the door seals put on the upper sections of the window when the door is closed. I've heard that when the door closes it meets the upper door seal and rides up sometimes scrapping the edge of the film and causing it to peal. Sorry my first explanation was a little confusing now that I have reread.

Just cut Your patterns tight, and sling it on the glass. Easy. :lol

Booms: you da man. Can always count on you to help on these new cars ha!

Oh hey, what ya think about the H shrinking or just a horizontal anchor mid-glass.

Sorry for asking so many questions, us firefighters don't do anything without a ton of research and questions ha ha........ Perfect planning, perfect training, perfect chaos on scene...ha!

Guest scottydosnntkno

I love booking these cars. nice and easy, and always come out looking sharp when you file the edges.

back glass is a cake dry shrink, just do a H anchor set right down the middle, unless it has a top spoiler, then move it up a little bit. Not a lot of extra black around the sides on the outside so be careful doing your rough cut.

back left quarter window is a pita because it has two antenna tabs on it you have to cut around, and you have to be exact because the fat part is the entire tab so you can't overlap the film. Just cut slow and you should be fine. oh and just squeeze the tabs to pull them off.

as for the doors, piece of cake. Don't remove the panels or any of that crap, its not needed.

yes, just heat all the edges of the door pretty good. I like to spend about 2 minutes moving around the edge of each door so it gets pretty warm but not too hot, so it just dries the film doesn't cook it. They don't put a lot of pressure on the film when you close the doors on these cars, and they don't shift, so its easy. If you feel the need you could put a piece of tap on the top two corners. I used too, but then stopped and haven't had a problem yet.

I've done like 50 of these cars, one of my used dealers gets them in all the time.

Car is cake. And the panels pull in in seconds. I yank em since it takes hardly any time. I can get the film a lil lower and make sure the edge seals up nice sine there is a lot of pressure on the lower part of the glass since it is frameless.

Guest Scottsfire

Thanks everybody..........did a confirmation call today to make sure she was going to keep my appointment and I have not heard back from her........uh oh!

I used to be a panel puller but a frameless Subaru is the was never on my list of panels needed to pull, so easy to tint below the gaskets of any frameless Subaru without removing a panel by means of a Red Devil , Gasket Wizard or simply tucking, whichever floats your boat :spit

Archived