Getting Started?

Guest scottydosnntkno

1. okay

2. not needed when starting, never use mine

3. yes

4. no. get sprayaway or Zep foaming instead

5. not needed. get some Joy or baby shampoo instead. cheaper and lasts longer and works just as well

6. 8" is way too big for auto. get a 5" with a handle, or get a clearmax/bluemax instead(blue is best) with an unger handle.

7. get the plain old $2.50 spray bottle. The head is IDENTICAL to the spraymaster, just different colors. the only spring spraymaster has is the fancy body, but since we're spraying soapy water, who cares if its chemical resistant :krazy

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Scottsfire

Dustin,

Welcome to the forums. If you want to get into window tinting your definetly in the right place. However you might want to go over to the Tips section of the forums and get VERY familiar with the "Search" feature there. If you post a new topic without doing a search first to see if that topic is covered then you could catch some flak. Pretty much everything you will need to know will be in the Tips section of the forums. Another good resource is the main TintDude page.....lower left has endless pages on instructions. One other alternative (in my opinion) is to 1. Go to Stan Fosters Tinting School or 2.) Order his DVD set. The DVD's are very good and you can tell my buddy Stan loves to teach. But that is just one option as there are many out there that provide similar programs.

The only other thing I can tell you after that is start tinting your friends and family's cars and most importantly...have fun and enjoy the learning honeymoon phase of window tinting. If you take yourself too seriously or fail to enjoy it while learning then your going to be really frustrated.

I'm a rookie myself in this trade and just love seeing the before and after of my work. Feel free to call on me when ever and if I can help great, if not there are plenty of great people here to help.

Cheers and welcome,

Scotty V.

Conquistador

SKU: A202 $2.47

White Scotch-Brite(3)

SKU: B171W $3.57

Olfa Pro Load 5 Blade A Knife

SKU: A1906P $7.20

32 oz. Sprayer Bottle(2)

SKU: A1305 $1.70

Trigger Sprayer Head(2) (for A1304 & A1305 )

SKU: B406 $4.26

Blue Maxx Blade

SKU: B3701 $6.50

Unger Pro Handle

SKU: A1400 $7.75

and also pickup locally

-Joy

-Zep Foaming

Now where can I get my film?

Thanks.

Dustin

Guest Scottsfire
Conquistador

SKU: A202 $2.47

White Scotch-Brite(3)

SKU: B171W $3.57

Olfa Pro Load 5 Blade A Knife

SKU: A1906P $7.20

32 oz. Sprayer Bottle(2)

SKU: A1305 $1.70

Trigger Sprayer Head(2) (for A1304 & A1305 )

SKU: B406 $4.26

Blue Maxx Blade

SKU: B3701 $6.50

Unger Pro Handle

SKU: A1400 $7.75

and also pickup locally

-Joy

-Zep Foaming

Now where can I get my film?

Thanks.

Dustin

Dustin,

Buy something cheap. Typically its harder to work with and if you can hang cheap paper/tint the other stuff (most of the time) will be cake to work with.

BUT, if you must have some good film up front..try googling Express Window Films.com (True Black) or Suntek films......etc... Everybody has their opinion on what to start out with but it should be something you don't mind ripping off the glass and chunking it in the trash ie CHEAP! Ha....

Guest Scottsfire
contact Bill at Sun-x in Dallas for some cheap film to start with. It shrinks, a little...but good paper thin practice stuff.

That's whatI started with and..Bill is an awesome guy always willing to help! He has some pretty decent product too!

sent the an email to bill, thanks for the contact.

another side note, do you guys stock all sizes of film? widths that is. I am going to order some "good" film from EWF's and just curios what widths I should be ordering, I am assuming

30-40" for side windows

60" for backs windows/trucks/tractors

I think id be fine with a roll of 40" for now?

Thanks.

Dustin

30-40" for side windows

60" for backs windows/trucks/tractors

Oh no............ :lol

:lol2

20" is good for 85% of the side windows out there.

40" is good for 98% of the back windows out there.

Or You can buy a single 40" and cut it down the middle and get two 20" pieces..... get it? :zzz

haha guess I should learn to be more conservative, just trying to factor in the copious amounts of error I will have when applying it the first few times...

so only situation you would need a 60" would be for say tractors and the like?

Thanks.

Dustin

Guest scottydosnntkno
haha guess I should learn to be more conservative, just trying to factor in the copious amounts of error I will have when applying it the first few times...

so only situation you would need a 60" would be for say tractors and the like?

Thanks.

Dustin

60" is use in FG a lot more, or split in 22/38 to cover 98% of the vehicles on the road.

Don't plan on tinting too many tractors, they don't come around that often :smoker

Archived