Okay guys if they wrote a book called tinting for dummies it would be intended for me. Well I have never tinted a car before and is considering entering the business. I have however experience in other automotive areas. And I have had the privilege of working in a stereo shop with the great Lorenzo in da Bronx (lorenzotintny.com). At the time I had no interest in tinting so I paid no attention to what he did. Dang how I regret that now.

All said I am open to be poured into by the great minds of ya all (yeah I am in the south now). Any thoughts relating to training is welcomed. If I cant do it right I am going to leave it alone. Enough said.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest drew675

theres only soo much that you can read online, you need to start looking for tinters that will accept an apprentice in your area. Start making phone calls, go to different shops. You might have a hard time finding someone tho.

I would bypass a lot of the garbage online. You have a few different options. Flat Rock Stan has a school in Beaverton,OR, and if I am correct,he also does a class for Phillip Hollecher in St. Louis. Check with some of you film distributors, they offer weekend classes, you wont be a pro but you will have at least some knowledge and more diserable to a shop owner as an apprintice. Last but not least, I am not sure what location you are in, but there are a lot of dealerships these days tinting. Depending on who they are dealing with, they usually prefer some one with little to no experience. They will have the Film vendor come in and train you on laying film and operating a computer based cutting system. At this point you just an installer. This is a good way to learn IMO if your wanting to be a tinter because now you can go to a shop and say " hey guys I can lay film and possibly shrink, I just cant cut. THey will most likely take you on and teach you to cut if your laying film properly. Tell me what area you are in and Ill do my best to tell you what dealers are running there own film installation department -

Guest drmrjon

Go to Stans school !!!! I would have burned through hundreds of dollars of film and probably purchased the wrong tools if I had NOT gone to his 6 day class. :lol

Guest tintjam65

Llumar has a school at there plant site in Virginia, one in Dallas and another in Orange, Ca.

Johnson has one in Carson Ca

There's another in San Dego Ca

Stan has one in Oregon and St Louis Mo

Llumar has a school at there plant site in Virginia, one in Dallas and another in Orange, Ca.

:embar How do you go about getting training from someone like llumar? Do I have to email or call them? I live about 2.5 hours from dallas and would be willing to make the drive to learn a trick or two

:spit How do you go about getting training from someone like llumar? Do I have to email or call them? I live about 2.5 hours from dallas and would be willing to make the drive to learn a trick or two

I was looking for the syllabus online last night but could not find it........... used to be not so much hands on and lots of llumar brain washing but things could have changed. Tintjam said he thought the 4 day class had more hands on than a few years ago.

Archived