Flat Glass/Auto Shop Partnership

We are a pure flat glass company operating in a large geography in Colorado. We would like to partner with auto shops in the area that do not want to dabble in flat glass. We get asked if we do auto tint, and want to have a partner to refer them to based on the customer's geography. Conversely, I would like the car shop to send me flat glass inquiries for which I would be happy to pay a referral on completed jobs.

I am wondering if there are any shop owners out there currently with this type of an arrangement? If so, how did you setup this relationship? Is there anything that your partners are doing that enticed you to be involved with them?

Any other advice for cultivating these relationships?

Thank you!

Tim

Guest tintjam65
We are a pure flat glass company operating in a large geography in Colorado. We would like to partner with auto shops in the area that do not want to dabble in flat glass. We get asked if we do auto tint, and want to have a partner to refer them to based on the customer's geography. Conversely, I would like the car shop to send me flat glass inquiries for which I would be happy to pay a referral on completed jobs.

I am wondering if there are any shop owners out there currently with this type of an arrangement? If so, how did you setup this relationship? Is there anything that your partners are doing that enticed you to be involved with them?

Any other advice for cultivating these relationships?

Thank you!

Tim

Use to do this but quit from a sour apple experience.

You have to consider you are referring to someone that might do a custy wrong and it'll look bad on ya having been the one referring them.

If you find a good one to work with who doesn't want anything to do with FG, go for it.

Start by looking at brand name film web sites who have dealer locator option. Most of them work off zip code. :dunno

In my experience most flat / auto referral relationships end sour. The auto guy gets way more referrals from the flat guy and in many cases the flat guy ends up hearing about the auto guy trying to do flat work.

My experience with flat getting into auto in house its too much of a headache and drama with installers that they go back to doing what they do best and make their money at... flat glass. Issues with installers and sub part work that hurts their relationship with customers outweighs the benefits of getting auto work.

If you can by chance find that auto guy you know, trust and are happy to get him referrals then do it but I wouldn't expect much of a return. Just piece of mind that you can direct your clients to a shop that you know can do a stand up job.

Guest untouchable

I did this exact think for a few years. I was on the other side in the auto biz. It worked well at first. He was supposed to sent me auto work and I would get x a square on closed jobs. The problem came when I had a few long time custys call me and say, that guy you referred was a dick. Find out he had the same agreement with other shops, so now who do the auto referrals go to? Then to top it off , jobs were done and I was told they never closed. So in return I never got my referral fee. So I just started doing flat glass and bidding against him.

I think it could work out great if people were honest and not so damn greedy.

In my experience most flat / auto referral relationships end sour. The auto guy gets way more referrals from the flat guy and in many cases the flat guy ends up hearing about the auto guy trying to do flat work.

My experience with flat getting into auto in house its too much of a headache and drama with installers that they go back to doing what they do best and make their money at... flat glass. Issues with installers and sub part work that hurts their relationship with customers outweighs the benefits of getting auto work.

If you can by chance find that auto guy you know, trust and are happy to get him referrals then do it but I wouldn't expect much of a return. Just piece of mind that you can direct your clients to a shop that you know can do a stand up job.

this is more of what I have in mind

Why not hire a car tinter?

good thought but I dont want the overhead of a space to do it and it doesnt really fit our brand image/identity

Sure, but if you have enough people asking for automotive that you are thinking of referring the work, it sounds like you may be leaving money on the table. How could it hurt your brand/image to offer full service tinting? Look at some high end shops some guys here have, I don't think it hurts their image at all.

Just thinking out loud. :cool

Archived