Keeping cords from scratching

After seeing 515tinter's video on shrinking a back glass on a G6, and seeing the posts about the cord on the car, I had an idea for those who don't like the cord over the shoulder while shrinking. A lot of us who have plotters have sign making material in the shop also. We have the magnetic sign material which comes in a 24 inch roll in our shop and thought it would be good to cut a piece for the quarter panel and wherever the cord usually drags if it isn't over the shoulder. It comes out to be around a 24X10 piece and a 24 X 30 piece. They can add extra protection to the car where the cord hits and where you sometimes lean on the car. Just an idea that popped into my tiny brain the other day. Watcha think? :beer

Guest tintjam65

Hope there isnt dirty paint to place this on.

I would think any sliding the magnet does when removing it would have the same chance as scratching as a cord would.

Might have to try it out on beaters before going to brand new cars. :dunno

I thought about that and didn't think a piece that big would slide any, at least not the kind I use. I think it would cause less damage than your pants sliding on a dirty car when you brush against it. Mechanics use a weighted mat over the fenders. Thought this would be along the same idea. :dunno

Guest tintjam65
I thought about that and didn't think a piece that big would slide any, at least not the kind I use. I think it would cause less damage than your pants sliding on a dirty car when you brush against it. Mechanics use a weighted mat over the fenders. Thought this would be along the same idea. :lol

Let me throw another at ya :evilgrin dont keep your credit cards in front pockets while shrinking. :dunno

Guest Darknesswithin

another idea on preventing cords scratching or anything else causing problems.,

just simply stay off the car while working on it,, the cord should be on the ground all the way to where your standing and at worse the cord is hung over your shoulder while doing the back glass..

Guest tint325i

wall mounted retractable cable reels, cord doesn't touch the car or the ground, simple really- if your not touching it your not going to scratch it!!

another idea on preventing cords scratching or anything else causing problems.,

just simply stay off the car while working on it,, the cord should be on the ground all the way to where your standing and at worse the cord is hung over your shoulder while doing the back glass..

Let me clarify. I don't have a problem with the cord or any other scratching issue. I'm 6'5 175lbs (bean pole) and have no issue dragging my gut, reaching the center of the glass, or dragging my cord. However, I did think this would be a new idea and worthy :cool of a TOTW medal. :lol2

Guest mikeMN
Hope there isnt dirty paint to place this on.

I would think any sliding the magnet does when removing it would have the same chance as scratching as a cord would.

Might have to try it out on beaters before going to brand new cars. :spit

:beer ......on the scratching.

And what would your solution be for say a fiberglass or aluminum vehicle.If I was a customer and seen some Big sheets of magnets sticking to my car I would certainly be eye phucking it after for sure.

I have a solution for this scratching problem I will be posting soon when I have more time to make it.as well as a few more tools and tips I am currently working on.when I am done with them I will post them on this site.hint on one of them Dot Matrix issues almost done with that one but still working on an applicator for hard to reach areas.

Archived