I keep Scratching the Tint.

Guest Sunlimited
Ive been under the impression not to use paper towel ever on window film due to the little tiny wood fibers used to make up a paper towel. Even cleaning with a paper towel is dangerous to film. Any opinions on that?

my opinion is wrap your hard card in a paper towel..... :twocents

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest GottaWearShades

A hard card provides increased "hardness" for water extraction or trouble spots like small creases. Only your technique can prevent "scratches".

If you believe an unwrapped hard card won't "scratch" your tint, go for it.

Guest tintjam65
Make sure your cards are smooth, I sand mine with 1200grit and it gets rid of the pits
Ive been under the impression not to use paper towel ever on window film due to the little tiny wood fibers used to make up a paper towel. Even cleaning with a paper towel is dangerous to film. Any opinions on that?

Of the two quotes above the lower one has zero chance of scratching film in comparison to the upper one. :bingo

I use hard cards such as quik foot, slammer, teflon white/gold/black/blue bare on tint all the time, but you won't find me using sand paper to remove rough edges. Sand paper can leave trace silica sand, which will scratch the tint. blink.png

I have never ever used paper towels,In any step of the process of the Installation of Auto Film. :thumb

In regards to your question on using paper towels to clean window film installed on a vehicle after 30 days.That would be a No,I would not recommend paper towels be used for cleaning either. :hmmm

Guest GottaWearShades

I tune up my turbos and hard cards every week by sanding the edges. Wet sand on high quality, bonded sandpaper and you shouldn't have any problem with debris sticking to your tools. It's not whether the edge of the tool is true, the problem is what you can pick up that can scratch the film during the course of installation.

Obviously installers posting here have different experiences, but I don't see how you can use any hard consistently without wrapping and say you've never scratched window film. Grit and dirt accumulate in places that trap it, like window gaskets.

Guest tintjam65
I tune up my turbos and hard cards every week by sanding the edges. Wet sand on high quality, bonded sandpaper and you shouldn't have any problem with debris sticking to your tools.

Good point, pardon the pun, but for this guy a hardcard sharpener is the shizznits and a new turbo or max blade once its nicked always ensures, sorry, a good point. :lol:coffee

Obviously installers posting here have different experiences, but I don't see how you can use any hard consistently without wrapping and say you've never scratched window film. Grit and dirt accumulate in places that trap it, like window gaskets.

I use paper towel wrapped cards only to mop up wet edges. To hammer film down, the are bare and I'll be last person to say it doesn't scratch. But like any tool or technique, its more about getting beyond the learning curve. :thumb

A few of my thoughts

Good tint can be scratched with wrong technique or tool

Bad tints too

Really bad tints will certainly no matter what

there also are good and bad paper towels

good towels can go bad, paper or cloth

and regarding quality of scratch resisiant coatings on even the best tints here is a little insider for he knows who: "What do you mean the UV curing lights haven't been cleaned the last 3 years, they should be changed once a year!" (sorry, couldn't resist)

Archived