Motivation

I am glad it does in yours. If its taking you 32 hours to tint a car you may want to change professions. With only a half a roll of film used it sounds like there wasnt that much waste. That leads me to believe that if it was your third car ever, you either wasted a lot more film in four days than 50ft, or it didnt take you 4 days. Also, at what point does the customer say "hey you have had my car four days to tint it, every other shop in town does it in 2 hours".

Like I said its just my opinion.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tintjam65

Sorry, when I was young me and my siblings use to bicker, then dad would step in to say it was raining (the sun was out). It was his way of pointing out the frivolity in bickering over a he said she said situation.

Now many who know me do not considered me a braggart, so rarely does my first car story get told, however, for the sake of bickering it goes like this:

My first car turned out to be the way that shop interviewed potentials. It took me 5.5 hours and only messed up one piece. The guy hiring, his assistant and the flat glass installer of the business looked over the car and commented on a nice job. I was then asked if I could bring the time down because no one can make money on tinting if it takes that long per car. Point taken and in three month I was taken off minimum wage and put of 35% commission. By this time I had established this palce of business as THE place to go for tinting in the entire county.

There's a phrase that sits very well with me these days and it seems appropriate, "It will come to us, sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly, but it will always materialize if we work for it".

I am going to presume Monique's situation was a 'sometimes slowly'. :lol

Edit: Monique didn't clarify whether or not it was a paying customer. I know my first car wasn't. :thumb

A new 1986 Honda Prelude! It was my 3rd car I'd ever tinted and I was trying to do perfect seams on the back window. All 6 of them! Took me 4 days, and a half roll of 20" film! Heat shrinking was only a dream in a galaxy far far away!

4 days and only 50ft of film??

you must of laid the doors and quarters perfect and only attempted the back window 3 times tops.

and all this took you 32 hours?

none of that adds up....at all.

I Believe Monique.

Seeing How you were a "Trainer" I would think that if you add up, the - film amount used was 50ft of a 20" Roll- only the 3rd vehicle attempted - Hand cut pieces of film used on the rear window - Trying to Do 6 perfect Seams - Considering the Defroster Lines on that car - Instalation of the film on the rear window.

you would know that it could have taken that amount of time.I think so and I have never even been a "Automotive Window Film Installation Instructor"... :lol

Guest tintjackal

I still say so what :lol I thought Monique was just expressing herself. I say so what to why start accusing somebody of lieing for no reason. Done alot of reading here the first few weeks theres just some that want to create an atmosphere of them being far superior for no apparant reason.

Neat place and lots of good information for tinters. :thumb

I still say so what :lol I thought Monique was just expressing herself. I say so what to why start accusing somebody of lieing for no reason. Done alot of reading here the first few weeks theres just some that want to create an atmosphere of them being far superior for no apparant reason.

Neat place and lots of good information for tinters. :thumb

Thank you I didn't intend for this to be a bickering contest. It was supposed to be just a question coming from a newbie. If she used 50' or 5000' it doesn't matter to me in the end she is one of the only ones that answered any one of my question, so thank you for that. Now if anybody else would just like to get back to the question at hand feel free to. I am not trying to offend anybody but just asking for a little insight into the tinting world. Thank you.

Nobody was born knowing how to tint. Everybody had to start somewhere was there ever a point where you just felt like giving up and just thinking that it wasnt for you. If so what car was it on, what did you do to keep yourself motivated. Window tinting for me is just a side business or a hobbie I should say. I really enjoy tinting but it seems that every time I think that I have it under control the next car comes and throws me for a loop. I always throw away at least one piece of tint per car which I guess isnt to bad if it is just one, but did you ever get discouraged and want to throw the whole mess in the trash? Well thats just my rant for the day. Thanks for all the advice on this site cant wait for the replies.

keep practicing buddy. with time you will get better. ONLY if you CHOOSE to get better and choose to stay in the industry. :drive

window tinting is a challenge! I enjoy every minute of it. dealing with customers, cars, co workers, etc. are all the same to me :drive We choose our attitudes each day. :DD I like to think in my mind on each car " i am your master, you do what i say" I look at the tint saying " LISTEN BUDDY. This roll is not your home, now get on this window!!" lol

Now many who know me do not considered me a braggart, so rarely does my first car story get told, however, for the sake of bickering it goes like this:
My first car turned out to be the way that shop interviewed potentials. It took me 5.5 hours and only messed up one piece. The guy hiring, his assistant and the flat glass installer of the business looked over the car and commented on a nice job. I was then asked if I could bring the time down because no one can make money on tinting if it takes that long per car. Point taken and in three month I was taken off minimum wage and put of 35% commission. By this time I had established this palce of business as THE place to go for tinting in the entire county.

:lol ...Come on now tintjam,you are saying that in just 3 Month's,you Established That shop as THE place to go for Auto Tinting in the Entire Country.

So tell me How you came to the conclusion,that shop was "the place to go for tinting" ?

Guest tintjam65

:lol ...Come on now tintjam,you are saying that in just 3 Month's,you Established That shop as THE place to go for Auto Tinting in the Entire Country.

So tell me How you came to the conclusion,that shop was "the place to go for tinting" ?

County.

The first place that I went didn't hire me and sent me down to their competitor who did not have an auto tinter. Yes sir, the place for auto tint and the first pace regretted not hiring. :gasp

:lol2 ...Come on now tintjam,you are saying that in just 3 Month's,you Established That shop as THE place to go for Auto Tinting in the Entire Country.

County.

The first place that I went didn't hire me and sent me down to their competitor who did not have an auto tinter. Yes sir, the place for auto tint and the first pace regretted not hiring. :lol

Sorry abouht that tintjam.. :lol2

:blink: .... :imok....Now that's sounds more realistic.. :lol

And It isn't the fist time i have misread a post on here,and looked like dumb azz..... :spit

I started out in this Biz Tinting cars.I never thought of tinting cars for a job, my story on how I started my Tinting career.Is my best friend since junior high school,his Dad was a manager of a Flat Glass and Auto Tinting Company.they were looking for a person to tint cars.I thought sure I would like to give that a try.Get paid to put film on car windows.I never thought I would be Tinting as long as I have. I have a feeling I will be involved in window Film till I retire.

Archived