cloudy windows

Guest tintjam65
Similar observations have been reported on Solar-Gard Quantum and Sun-Tek Carbon. Same fact pattern, observable haze in direct sunlight only. Some very good pictures have been posted as well.

I am certain that it involves the base polyester. A small amount of haze yields a significant increase in solar performance. Hence, there is some "engineered-in" haze present in these films.

Some observers are more sensitive to it than others, as discussed in other posts. At the factory, they measure haze using lab instruments. Perhaps the threshold of what is acceptable needs to be reassessed.

This issue is a reminder of how shared raw material sources at the top of the food-chain can have a simultaneous impact on different brands of film. I know we all like to think of the brands we use as being "unique" but the fact of the matter is that most (or all) of these components are outsourced to a small list of vendors that supply the industry as a whole.

I do not understand why it would be present in NR-TB however, so it is imperative that I get the roll back. MWF: please call me today so I can arrange to pick that up. It is possible that one or possibly two layers of the "hazed-up" polyester made it's way into the film.

I will investigate it thoroughly and report what I find.

-Howard

Difference in polyester quality ranges in a similar fashion to differences in final film product quality.

I believe higher quality polyesters, obviously costing more, will have the lowest amount of low angle haze issues. I could be way wrong here, but I've seen low angle haze in the cleanest of glass without tint applied so may times it could simply be the glare reduction of the film exacerbates the glass haze issue.

Could this issue not also include the Hard coat?

Edit: Never have heard that one, but who knows these days.

Guest Retnitorp
Could this issue not also include the Hard coat?

Edit: Never have heard that one, but who knows these days.

I have heard of this with films like 3M and there NEARL Films,the haze issue was due to the Hard Coat.as with other films made by other company's.

I have heard of this with films like 3M

I guess we can add 3M to the list then.

It's not a matter of using cheap polyester to save money. A little haze bumps up the solar performance - that's why it's in there. Apparently, it's a bit too hazy in some films. It's a delicate balance between enhanced performance and optical distortion.

Making window film is not rocket science, but it is quite difficult to produce a consistent product when you are outsourcing 90% + of the product by weight. We would all like to have perfection from our vendors, but given the physical constraints and the pricing pressure, it's not going to happen.

A reputable supplier will always take back whatever you are not satisfied with. That is as close to perfection as we can expect.

-Howard

howard- your pms are full again

Hi Scotty,

Thanks.

Our IT department is not happy with my handling customer service requests over the PM service. I have been asked to "knock it off".

Email is always available. howard@buytint.com

-Howard

Guest Crackz

Hi Scotty,

Thanks.

Our IT department is not happy with my handling customer service requests over the PM service. I have been asked to "knock it off".

-Howard

how can they tell the big boss what to do tell them to get it up and running :whattodo

Guest Retnitorp

Hi Scotty,

Thanks.

-Howard

That's a Good Idea,then you can have all conversations via E-mail documented in writing.

Archived