cloudy windows

Ive seen this too, even on my own car. Does it look as if the darkness in the film is uneven and blotchy? I saw this once so bad on a late model yukon i did, i thought if would for sure be getting a complaint about it.

I really want to start carrying ewf tru black again, but this issue is a real concern. I don't care what a film costs, how easily installs, but if the clarity sucks, its not worth it.

Guest Crackz

i run the true smoke line and have never seen it there ..... but in the first runs of true black there was a issue with the poly call howard he will fix it for ya

i got true black on my truck. installing the films kinda sucks cuz its sooo thick, but i know what your talking about. it looks kinda cloudy is different light situations, like if the sun is really glaring on the windows when im driving, i notice a cloudyness to the film, at other times when its not as bright out film looks crystal clear. but honestly not a big issue... the only reason i use it is because the colour matches well with factory tint. i will never install a back window with that stuff again, it took me twice as long to shrink and it just doesnt like to lay down nicely like thinner film would. even side windows isnt fun with it sometimes.. just my own oppenion though. other installers loove it.

Similar observations have been reported on Solar-Gard Quantum and Sun-Tek Carbon. Same fact pattern, observable haze in direct sunlight only. Some very good pictures have been posted as well.

I am certain that it involves the base polyester. A small amount of haze yields a significant increase in solar performance. Hence, there is some "engineered-in" haze present in these films.

Some observers are more sensitive to it than others, as discussed in other posts. At the factory, they measure haze using lab instruments. Perhaps the threshold of what is acceptable needs to be reassessed.

This issue is a reminder of how shared raw material sources at the top of the food-chain can have a simultaneous impact on different brands of film. I know we all like to think of the brands we use as being "unique" but the fact of the matter is that most (or all) of these components are outsourced to a small list of vendors that supply the industry as a whole.

I do not understand why it would be present in NR-TB however, so it is imperative that I get the roll back. MWF: please call me today so I can arrange to pick that up. It is possible that one or possibly two layers of the "hazed-up" polyester made it's way into the film.

I will investigate it thoroughly and report what I find.

-Howard

Archived