Dealership not paying; Advice Please

Did a job on a Lotus, completed it, the body shop manager said it was the best he's seen. 100% happy and satisfied.

Handed over the bill and it was explained to me that they would pay me once they received payment from the customer who owned the car. (Car was in for a respray / paint job, so they were waiting for payment from the owner of the car.

In the past I did one job for this dealership, they paid me about 3 weeks later via mail.

For this job however it has been over 7 weeks and still not a cent received.

I made a phone call about 4 weeks after the job was completed to the body shop manager...explained I haven't received payment. He told me that he was going to notify the person whom takes care of this and if I didn't receive anything in 1 week to call this person and speak with her.

I called this person 1 week later....they told me that there is only 1 person (the owner) whom signs checks and they have been waiting for him to sign my check so they can send it to me. She explained to me that this persons wife is ill in the hospital and they have not been available due to this.

I then waited another 2 weeks and made another phone call to the body shop manger...told me that he would notify the girl again who took care of this.

I got nothing, and then called again. The girl was not in so they directed me to her voice mail. I kindly left a message asking her to call me back the following business day. That was 2 business days ago, still no returned phone call.

What would you do about this? How would you handle this issue?

This is unexcusable in my mind. This is a small Lotus / Bentley dealership, they sell allot of cars out of here. I do not want to show myself as a rude person to them, I would like to get more work outta here, but at the sametime I do want paid.

~A

Guest Mobile1

For the life of me I cannot figure out why anyone would put up with this %&$# for just the hopes of future business. Man up and tell them to pay up, and then from now on do everything paid in full up front or not at all. Then you can get on with your life.

You need to have a signed PO from whoever can authorize it. Then on your invoice you need to have something written on there that states the terms. We have it to where it states invoices not paid within 30 days are subjected to 1.5% added to original amount per day after 30 days (something to that effect). You have to cover your bases with dealerships, and always have a signature. Luckily the sole dealership we do work for pays within 7 biz days. Last week I recieved 2 checks on invoices 3 days old. Sweet.

You need to visit the accounts receivable office in person. You will get that check almost instantly as long as you have covered your bases...and does it matter if you come off bad? You havent got paid, and it doesnt look like it would be a good place to work with.

you need some proof you did the work. Take them to claims court

or

if you have any L.E.O. buddies, have one go with you to see the manager and ask about it again.

or

Mail a certified letter to them that if funds are not recieved in xx days you will be in contact with the states attorney.

or

Get redneck and go up their and make a scene in their show room everyday when a lot of clients are around.

or

Go up there and find out the owner of the Lotus, go see them and take your PPF back, tell them you are the repo man and to take it up with the body shop.

Sounds to me like you are getting the pro com run around. I would be willing to say you can find out this is common practice from them

Guest Retnitorp
You need to have a signed PO from whoever can authorize it. Then on your invoice you need to have something written on there that states the terms. We have it to where it states invoices not paid within 30 days are subjected to 1.5% added to original amount per day after 30 days (something to that effect). You have to cover your bases with dealerships, and always have a signature. Luckily the sole dealership we do work for pays within 7 biz days. Last week I recieved 2 checks on invoices 3 days old. Sweet.

You need to visit the accounts receivable office in person. You will get that check almost instantly as long as you have covered your bases...and does it matter if you come off bad? You havent got paid, and it doesnt look like it would be a good place to work with.

:money

I have a 300+lb Sicilian uncle that I'll rent out at $500 a day.

Always have a signed PO from the dealership and have the number on your receipt as well as a signature. That's BS that they dealership won't pay you unless the customer does. The DEALERSHIP is buying YOUR work, the CUSTOMER is buying it from THEM. When that type of transaction takes place it's the middleman that assumes liability to collect payment from the customer.

Also, dealerships need to be handled with "speak softly but carry a big stick". Have your own safeguards so you don't get screwed, but when you do, don't be afraid to have your lawyer send them a letter. I'd also recommend NOT dealing with the lower management with this. Go directly and send all correspondence to the GM, president, or the owner. I didn't threaten to sue, but on my best account I had to email the GM saying all work is stopped until I get paid. Turns out a service manager didn't want to take responsibility for writing a PO and never followed through. He got chewed out and I got my check. Don't hesitate to go to upper management if you are 100% in the right.

Archived