True Black Changing to True Brown

Guest gabe

I can never learn enough...

Knowledge is the one commodity that knows no diminishing returns.

Howard

:boogie

Howard, just got my TB film. Thank you! Look forward to trying it in the next day or so!

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its sad to see all the asian manufactured films failing so hard... (except for global and garware lol)... i'll personally stick with my llumar and johnsons.

Hi Tint4Food,

Llumar and Johnson make terrific films. No argument there. EWF also sells USA made films.

But given the fact that Dupont/Tejin closed it's USA plants earlier this year, where do you think all of the base film now comes from? I'll give you a hint: It begins with an "A".

My concern is that people will read your post and conclude that all Asian films "fail hard" and that buying from a USA coater/laminator is a guarantee of superior performance or longevity. It is not. The only thing that is probably guaranteed is that you are going to pay more, since US based brands have higher capital and cost structures.

These boards are replete with comments over "dirty little sweat shops" and similar derogatory remarks. Whenever I read posts like that - I know they were written by someone that has never visited an Asian producer. I encourage you to do so. You will find ISO-9000 clean room environments, world class-highly educated engineers, chemists, production teams and the latest and most expensive Eurpoean coater/laminators available.

You like American films. That's cool. I just don't agree with broadly categorizing all Asian films as inferior.

-Howard

us films fail just as hard and some even faster

You're correct Joe.

It's unfortunate when any film does not live up to expectations, but when you paid a premium price, it's even harder to swallow.

In my opinion, the answer lies is knowing how a particular film was constructed, what the individual vulnerabilities and failure modes are associated with each construction method and from whom you buy them.

Fortunately, most films have improved dramatically over the years due to improvements in the individual components that go into these products. The perfect roll of window film has never (and will never) be produced.

I will "bottom line" it for you: The key is to align your expectations with the capabilities and limitations of the films you choose work with.

-Howard

Guest scottydosnntkno

I always find it interesting when people, especially customers make the remarks that "any film will turn purple and bubble."

I know especially in my market, the only thing people care about is price, price, price. They don't really care about the warranty they only care about the price, since every hack shop gives them the "lifetime warranty" gimmick. We are in a rather moderate climate, and see cars ALL over the place with nasty bubbles film on them.

I attribute it to a combination of things, mainly economics and the people who live here. More or less, for anyone who has never visited detroit you see two things:1. brand new, latest and greatest cars everywhere. We have volts, that new fiat thing, cruzes', regals, you name it they're all over. and 2. old rust buckets that are 10/15/20+ years old. Its sad to see sometimes, but it just shows the population difference in our area. You either have a successful job and own/lease/company car brand new vehicles, or you just scrape by. I think everyones see how the new depicts our city(which is highly over exagerated, but thats another story).

So, around here, its not uncommon to see a car that has had film on it for 10+ years, all purpled and bubbly. Personally, I, along with many others on here would consider 10 years out of any film to be a pretty good "lifetime."

There are a few shops around here that sell SunTek STD, solar gard NR smoke, and a no-name import film as a "lifetime" film. Hell, i used to install NR Smoke, but I knew it was a 3 year film. I have several cars I did with it about 2.5 years ago and they are starting to fade and turn purple. That doesn't mean its a bad film, since it more or less lasted 3 years.

Archived