True Black Changing to True Brown

Guest gabe

Well, I finally saw my first TB car back yesterday. I had tinted 2 back windows for the guy in 20 TB April 2010. Car came in today to go ahead and tint the 2 fronts. It was noticeably brown when I saw it, more than what I was expecting. I put some 15 ATC CH on the front and it was more brown than the ATC. I rolled the window down in the back to see if maybe I was just remembering it being more of a black color, but as I suspected it was more of a black color along the top. I was thinking about tinting the 2 back doors for the customer to keep it all matching, but I was in a bit of a hurry and since I needed the time, I went ahead and didn't say anything. I'm curious to see this car next year.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I finally saw my first TB car back yesterday. I had tinted 2 back windows for the guy in 20 TB April 2010. Car came in today to go ahead and tint the 2 fronts. It was noticeably brown when I saw it, more than what I was expecting. I put some 15 ATC CH on the front and it was more brown than the ATC. I rolled the window down in the back to see if maybe I was just remembering it being more of a black color, but as I suspected it was more of a black color along the top. I was thinking about tinting the 2 back doors for the customer to keep it all matching, but I was in a bit of a hurry and since I needed the time, I went ahead and didn't say anything. I'm curious to see this car next year.

Geez, why fool with the "wonder what it'll look like next year? I don't care if the peddler says it's the best in it's class at the price point. The stuff is inferior, break down what the difference in cost is going to be with the ATC and absorb it or cover it by adding $5 to the bill. It's pennies. Customers will talk about the mismatching failing film to friends 10 to 1 over the satisfactory product. Too many people don't get it. I know your not one but it's surprising the caliber of shops that give this stuff a shot. Then you have the "don't know" dealer that has really very little brick and mortar real world long term shop experience giving poor advise to a lot of clueless followers. :nope

it's surprising the caliber of shops that give this stuff a shot.

Eh, for me I have some dealers that I sit smack dab in the middle of (pretty much every major brand) who refuse to pay more than what they have for the last 10 years. as we all know, film has gone up quite a bit in 10 years. I tried it as a way to make one part of my business a bit more profitable. I am upping dealer price Jan 1. I feel now I am comfortable enough with the amount of retail work I do that I will not need to rely as heavily on dealer work to fill the schedule.

break down what the difference in cost is going to be with the ATC and absorb it or cover it by adding $5 to the bill.

This is a good point. We agree.

According to our math, it costs $7.22 per vehicle (on average) to upgrade a customer to an EWF Color Stable construction (which is much still less than Llumar BTW). It's all about choice. Many of our customers want CS only - no argument there. But if you are going to offer CS & Non-CS films as part of a Good/Better/Best program, TB is an excellent choice.

TB is not Llumar and it's not Global. That's not a fair comparison and these films enter the market at completely different price points. TB should be compared only to it's not CS peers and in that respect, it really shines. We are now on the third revision of the product and it continues to improve and gain customers. The latest production run featured enhancements to the initial tack strength as well as the color durability.

If you are looking to incorporate a non-CS film into your line, consider TB. If you are CS only type dealer, that's great too. But don't compare TB to CS films like Global and Llumar. Non CS films have been around for decades and will be here well into the future. When judging any non-CS film (EWF or otherwise), compare it only to it's peers. Comparing any non-CS construction to a CS is not an apples-to-apples contest. Nor is it meant to be.

-Howard

I am upping dealer price Jan 1.

Good for you ///Man !! An installer at your experience level is worth it.

For dealer work - EWF suggests either straight CS films or getting the dealer on board with a Good/Better/Best program. Using straight non-CS is OK, provided you are up front and honest about it, but as "addicted" pointed out - it's probably worth investing the few extra bucks to move up to CS if you are only going to offer one film.

-Howard

I'm using Global QDP right now for all my customers, even for the used car lot vehicles. But in a week or two, i will order few rolls of the TB just for the used car lot vehicles. The owners said, they just want the windows tinted and as soon as they sell the car, they are not liable for the tint. So this give me the chance to use TB on their cars, and gives me the chance to save some money :popcorn

Guest Darknesswithin
Careful tdm...your immaturity is showing. :embar

For what it's worth, I think Howard is being a stand up supplier. I would like to see ALL suppliers take the same stand. Shows integrity to me. :popcorn

I can Not believe I read this entire thread... holy crap

but I will say this, I'm not really interested in the TB but if Howard wants to contact me sometime I'll look to what he's got to offer

Guest Darknesswithin

next time snap some pic of it....I am sure some of would like to see the results. :lol2

pics would be nice :thumb

Archived