Directed towards distributors, but Others welcome to join

So I am an account manager at a Bed Liner Company in Indiana. We manufacture and distribute Scorpion Bed Liners. Been in business for over 15 yrs. A few years ago we started a DIY line called Als Liner, It has exploded into the market by putting all the others to shame, our product has been featured on Speed Channel, Chop Cut Rebuild, and others. This summer we decided to add some profit centers that would be interest of our Bed Liner Dealers. We added Detailing, Paintless Dent Repair, Headlight Refinishing, Windshield Repair, and Window Films. We worked with A leading window film manufacturer to get access to their film and brand it as our own. So naturally we branded it as Scorpion Window Films. We have been moving it slowly, but waiting until we are out at SEMA to go full speed with it.

Now to my delima, I get a call yesterday from a potential customer about our film. He ask all the usual questions, we have a good 15 minute conversation before he ask if we are related to an outfit in Graind Praire, Texas. I confirmed we were not and asked why he thought we may be. he proceeded to tell me that someone is selling Scorpion Film on Ebay and it is "chinese made crap". To top it all off the guys name selling the film has the same first name as me(Joe). So I was baffled. upon my ebay search I had found a few adds that they had listed for their film. My biggest worry is that their cheap film is going to leave a bad taste in others mouth and direct customers away as I attempt to grow this department.

Here is a link to one of their ebay adds.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/30-X-100FT-...=item27b4ebb0e6

I will post some pics of my film packaging up once I get them loaded here at the office.

I find it comical, but at the same time I am completely dumbfounded! What do you guys think about this? This is my first time trying to grow a brand of my own. Any and all serious feedback is greatly appreciated.

Joe

Guest scottydosnntkno

are you sure your contracts with A leading window film manufacturer allow you to tell everyone who makes the film? Is it their film just rebranded, or is it made to your specs?

Does the other guy have a TM on his product name? Do you have a TM on it? Have you contacted him about it? How long has he been selling it?

Theres a million questions and what ifs that could be said about this situation.

From just a business ethics standpoint, if hes been selling it for say 2/5/10 years under his name, I would change your products name. Its just the right thing to do, whether or not he has it TM'd. He's worked for a long time for his product to brand it, so don't force him to change that.

well, If Pirelli isnt coming after you, I would probably not worry to much about it. Anyone that has launched their product on ebay (at least in the film world) does not have much chance.

Plus, I did an extensive search on the company and they barely exist. No store, no website, ect. If anything brand/trademark your name, and if he becomes somin sue him.

You probably have a good lil thing going with your other products, but I am sure your not cornering any market with film.

Good luck to you. Keep us posted.

are you sure your contracts with A leading window film manufacturer allow you to tell everyone who makes the film? Is it their film just rebranded, or is it made to your specs?

Does the other guy have a TM on his product name? Do you have a TM on it? Have you contacted him about it? How long has he been selling it?

Theres a million questions and what ifs that could be said about this situation.

From just a business ethics standpoint, if hes been selling it for say 2/5/10 years under his name, I would change your products name. Its just the right thing to do, whether or not he has it TM'd. He's worked for a long time for his product to brand it, so don't force him to change that.

Hey Scooter Deeriffic, click on the link and you will see the add. They dudes been selling film for 13 months. Ebay only. Only sold 43 rolls. He aint no heavy hitter.

Yeah his past and existance are barely noticable. Just funny how there are two "Joes" trying to grow a "Scorpion" Brand Film. If you get a chance, check out our websites. www.scorpioncoatings.com www.scorpionliners.com www.alsliner.com www.autopreneur.com The window film is not going to take over the world by any means, but with my resources in the automotive industry it will provide a stable flow of business. I have already secured a few large accounts that put me way past where I projected to be as of now. Our business is built around "New Start Ups" and adding "Profit Centers" to existing business.

Thanks,

Joe

I could deff see it being a house brand to a chain store. Say if you guys started expanding and had like 20 stores or more nation wide. Then you could have your own brand. House brand ect. I know when i was the shop manager at Wattsound, we would make our own install kits in house. Had very nice packing made. Had better wire and connectors then street wires, cost less, and made more. Ill check your site out now.

I could deff see it being a house brand to a chain store. Say if you guys started expanding and had like 20 stores or more nation wide. Then you could have your own brand. House brand ect. I know when i was the shop manager at Wattsound, we would make our own install kits in house. Had very nice packing made. Had better wire and connectors then street wires, cost less, and made more. Ill check your site out now.

Well our thoughts were along the lines of introducing it to our current bed liner dealers(majority of them are accessory stores, collision repair, new car dealers). We have over 1,500 dealers in the U.S. alone, so its kind of the same as your are talking about. Some are respective to their current film manufacturers and are not interested in switching over, some have switched. Our target market initially and still is taking care of our current dealers.

Archived