film handlers

Have not used one yet. And only have seen them in catalogs. But the question/problem is...

1. all my rolls sent to methe film has shifted during shipping. so the edge is not straight.

2. will handlers compensate for this so the cut will be straight?

Have not used one yet. And only have seen them in catalogs. But the question/problem is...

1. all my rolls sent to methe film has shifted during shipping. so the edge is not straight.

It depends on how bad the film that you are getting is. If the film is telescoping significantly, a filmhandler will not compensate for that. If the film is just not perfectly flat on the edge, but has a slight amount of bumpiness, the film handler will usually accommodate that with no noticeable wave to the cut. I will tell you that film bought from a reputable manufacturer should not be arriving with significant telescoping issues.

It depends on how bad the film that you are getting is. If the film is telescoping significantly, a filmhandler will not compensate for that. If the film is just not perfectly flat on the edge, but has a slight amount of bumpiness, the film handler will usually accommodate that with no noticeable wave to the cut. I will tell you that film bought from a reputable manufacturer should not be arriving with significant telescoping issues.

:bingo

I finally broke down and got a film handler last year after using one on a project I worked on with a friend of mine. Never knew just how handy one of these tools could be until I used one myself. Now i cut all my film off the handler. Auto and flat glass, it has been working out great for me as well. :beer

their reputable. mayeb its just a few rolls i have received. but its been every roll. i know it doesnt come off uneven. so air when rolled and shipping shifting it around doesnt help. probably looking at 1/2 in of movement. i dont thing this would be compensated by the handler.

if they would add some masking tape on each end over the entire roll i bet it would completely stop any movement.

thanks for the help. basically its a crap shoot until these rolls are fixed.

their reputable. mayeb its just a few rolls i have received. but its been every roll. i know it doesnt come off uneven. so air when rolled and shipping shifting it around doesnt help. probably looking at 1/2 in of movement. i dont thing this would be compensated by the handler.

if they would add some masking tape on each end over the entire roll i bet it would completely stop any movement.

Are they sending you film on a wider core than the film is? For example, a 40" roll of film on a 48" core? If thats the case, a film handler will not help you as far as keeping the film from sliding from side to side. Ocassionaly I get rolls of film like this when I order 20' of film. They dont have the correct size core, so they put it on a larger one. Trying to pull security film like this is impossible.

If that is what you are getting, I would come up with a way to cut off the core even to the edge of the film. Then a filmhandler will work great as long as you have shims on the rollers. If there is any slack, or too much slack side to side on the handler, your side cuts will prob not be very straight.

Are they sending you film on a wider core than the film is? For example, a 40" roll of film on a 48" core? If thats the case, a film handler will not help you as far as keeping the film from sliding from side to side. Ocassionaly I get rolls of film like this when I order 20' of film. They dont have the correct size core, so they put it on a larger one. Trying to pull security film like this is impossible.

If that is what you are getting, I would come up with a way to cut off the core even to the edge of the film. Then a filmhandler will work great as long as you have shims on the rollers. If there is any slack, or too much slack side to side on the handler, your side cuts will prob not be very straight.

No havent received larger cores than film. its mainly due to shipping. boxes arent beat up but bieng normally handled and standing up and constant shifting...maybe its due to the roll being rolled of the machine not exaxtly tension right. causing some slack in roll allowing shift. this could happen. but hopefully it will stop. still would like a handler though. never seem to see one on ebay. lol. must be worth it.

Have to sat tintjunkie, you are very insightful on this .....well done :thumb

Archived