I need someone's opinion?

here is my dilemma. I have been tinting for over 10 years and have own my own tint shop for the last 3 years now. I'm looking to expand my operation and ppf looks like the next trade i wanna learn. There is a 3m ppf course like 30 minutes from my home and i am thinking about registering for the course but from what i've been reading xpel has a better training and film but the expense is a lot more (i.e. flight,hotel rent-a-car, etc). So my question is this, is it a good idea to get training from 3m and then after training start using expel film and software? Since i have no experience in ppf i'm not sure how much of a difference using different types of film is gonna make. If money wasn't an issue this would be a no brainer for me, but it is..lol. I am a family man so i'm not sure if i should just save up or just go 30 minutes from home.. thanks guys

here is my dilemma. I have been tinting for over 10 years and have own my own tint shop for the last 3 years now. I'm looking to expand my operation and ppf looks like the next trade i wanna learn. There is a 3m ppf course like 30 minutes from my home and i am thinking about registering for the course but from what i've been reading xpel has a better training and film but the expense is a lot more (i.e. flight,hotel rent-a-car, etc). So my question is this, is it a good idea to get training from 3m and then after training start using expel film and software? Since i have no experience in ppf i'm not sure how much of a difference using different types of film is gonna make. If money wasn't an issue this would be a no brainer for me, but it is..lol. I am a family man so i'm not sure if i should just save up or just go 30 minutes from home.. thanks guys

If your serious in getting into PPF I would reccomend to get training with Xpel in San Antonio and learn how to install pre-cut kits. while training at XPEL you will be able to install their film/patterns and learn how to use the DAP software in training. I have been to the beginners and advance training with XPEL in the past and was well worth the money, you will learn alot from Alex (trainer at XPEL) and if you have any questions talk to Jeff.

I would say that the best thing you can do is to go to the training course offered by the manufacturer of film that you are going to use. I can tell you that the techniques used to install XPEL film and 3M are quite different given the different adhesive and elastic properties.

If you haven't decided which brand of film that you want to go with, then you better just go with us! :beer

I would take the mmm course, if it's closer and saves you money, you'll get the same idea of how to apply the product either way. Both are good courses and good products. I do like the xpel film. I wish we were using it.

:beer

thanks for everyone's help.. and jeff i will be contacting you in the near future.

Guest samhahn

When you are starting off, everything adds up. You do have your own tinting shop so that it might not be as crucial since the expenditure will be "investment" for your future earning, but still. I am barely getting into PPF myself and I would try something that is easiest to take first. When I say easy, I mean easy in terms of time and money. If you like it and there seems to be enough opportunity for business in your area, then you can take more advanced courses down the line.

As the XPEL Jeff said, try to take course offered by the manufacturer of the film you plan to use would make most sense. Since most experts prefer one product over another based on their experience, I searched all over the net to get more feel for each product and here is short summary from a noob. Other experts can chip in as needed.

*3M Scotchgard - supposedly the best film if you just wanted sheer protection while sacrificing the look somewhat. Still decent looks. I personally hated the way it handles though. It is very rigid for a film but that is what offers the superior protection, supposedly. Does offer courses as you know.

*3m Venture Shield - from what I can gather, this one is either hit or miss. Some people swears by it and some just hates it! From what I can gather it was mainly due to quality control issue where if you get a good roll, you are golden and if you get a bad one, you are screwed. Not sure whether the problem has been solved or not.

* Invismask - I think it is house brand. Not sure who makes it for them. Among regular people who is searching for PPF, their name will pop up pretty much all the time. You might even get people who will order their kit and call you to have it installed, or so they claim. I haven't read anything particularly good or bad about them. Pretty decent looks and easier to work w/ compared to Scotch. Not sure about the durability.

* Avery Nano - Appears very nice and smooth. There is bit more shine to it than 3M Scotch and invis and smoother to touch. Relatively easy to work with. Offers traing courses. At least protect film seems to be offering them anyway. My current favorite film due to quality/price but who knows. It might change in the future. :thumb

* Xpel - From what I can gather, don't even bother with value line. For what reason, I have no clue but why take chance. At least go with standard or higher. Easier to work w/ than 3M. Their higher end product looks very nice. (I guess the premium?) I stumbled upon something called Xpel Extreme as well. But I could not find a single info on it. My speculation is someone trying to sell the value line w/ better sounding name since if it was indeed a legit line of ppf offered by Xpel, there should be SOME info on Xpel web site but couldn't find any. Perhaps someone can add insight? I have zero first hand experience w/ their product. Above info is gathered from different installers who have used it.

*Ebay kit! - Supposedly it is actually pretty good if someone doesn't want to spend alot of money but wants some paint protection and planning to go on an off road trip on his suv/truck over the weekend. Even the ebay seller recommends replacing it every year saying it is cheap enough to do so. I guess you can offer it very cheap w/ bubbles/dust in it as part of the deal saying it needs to me removed within a week? :thumb I have no clue to its quality first hand either but I am pretty sure it is not that great.

There are few other ones but above are the most prominent PPF brands when you google. If you consider quality, I think sticking with 3M Scotchgard, Avery Nano, and Xpel Standard/premium would be the safest bet. If you consider low volume pricing, 3M is the cheapest, followed by Nano, then Xpels. Actually getting your hands wet by playing with each one of them in person will give you the best idea as to which film will work the best w/ your style. You actually might like the 3M the most! :) Well good luck with your new ppf business in future!

As mentioned, get training from the mfg you plan on using. 3M ppf doesnt stretch hardly at all, while most all others do. IMO the 3M ppf looks like crap. Way too much orange peel in it...but the VentureShield looks great, but now has 3M adhesive and I have had nothing but problems with it.

You need to know how to install the product you are using.

diyer,

Just to clarify some of your comments on our film:

- The Value film line is a non-topcoated film intended for the racing industry. You are correct that this is not exactly the ideal film for daily installs. We have actually discontinued the Value line, as we are rolling out some pretty nifty things in the coming months.

- We have not officially released any info on our Xtreme film, as we are doing somewhat of a soft rollout. In short, is is an improved version of our previous Premium line, with added duarability, and a much more user-friendly adhesive. Feel free to give us a ring at 800-447-9928 if you need info, pricing or samples.

PG -

There are a few things you want to consider when selecting a film:

- Appearance: How well does this film dissapear on a car? Orange peel? Gloss?

- Available sizes: Will you be able to get the sizes you need for the different coverage options?

- Warranty: How quickly are warranties handled? What is covered? Do they pay labor? WHat is the defect rate?

- Ease of installation: How often will you have to trash pieces? How quickly does it install?

- Durability: How does it hold up in your region?

- Service: Does the comapny you buy from just send you film, or are they available to answer questions when you need help?

- Price: In the grand scheme of things, the price difference between the most expensive film and the least expensive film on the market is only about $10-$20 per car, so this shouldn't be one of your major deciding factors. Someone will ALWAYS be willing to sell cheaper than you, so it is wise to sell a product that sets you apart in terms of quality.

I'm sure I'm leaving a few things out, but hopefully this gives you a few things to consider when making your choice.

Guest samhahn

Thanks for the input Jeff! So it is indeed a legit line of xpel ppf. So with new introduction of Xtreme line and discontinuing of value line, overall standard will be going up w/ new 3 ppf line up where old premium will be new "standard" and Xtreme will be sort of new premium? Sounds cool! So when is it going to officially debut on Xpel site? :money

Archived