can i get away with this

I know we cant put limo on double pain glass. but I just moved into an apartment. and I want to do some custom art work on my windows. one of the panes I want to do like this. in my bathroom I want to put a city skyline scene in it. but what I want to do to it is. cut the buildings out in limo. have all the windows cut out so it will be clear. but put mirror film down before the limo. so at night the windows will stand out. when the light is on. my question would be if the mirror film is layed down first. will that reverse the affects of putting limo on double pain. my theory is that the mirror. will reflect the heat before it gets to the limo

Guest expertint

You got a window in the bathroom??...must be a nice place.. Put the mirror tint on the outside pane and then you could do anything on the inside..I think.

Yes it does reflect more than it absorbs. The mirror we install has a heat absoptance of 38%. Our limo has 67% absorptance. The cut off point we use on thermal panes is 50%. My opinion is you would have too much absorptance by layering them. But since it's lost it's seal already the only worry would be it breaking. The reason I asked the direction is that this came up with a potential customer a year ago. They wanted limo flames on the front of their store with silver behind them. I didn't recommend it to them so they had another shop do it. After a summer and winter of the film being there the window is still fine. BUT...the window does face north. :booga

Where's metint when you need him????? :rollin

Guest Eclipse

If the window is tempered you shouldn't have any problem with what you want to do. If if it is not tempered you will build up to much uneven heat and the class will break. :thumb

(in my humble opinion)

best not to do it...the idea that the silver will reflect the heat B4 it hits the smoke won't happen..it still absorbs..doesn't matter if the seal is broken or not..even a greater chance of cracking glass if there is any sort of shadow over the window as well :thumb

I would do it with the first layer silver (20%) as you stated PIE, but rethink the limo, 25-35% would be safer.

In a bathroom :thumb should be tempered, if located near the tub or shower (not sure the building code).

Put the silver down, lay on the 25-35% smoke city scape and cut the windows out of both layers so they are clear glass. This should achieve the look you want.

If not, take it off and try something different. I don't believe limo needs to be involved in this, too risky.

:hmmm

:lol6 I would do the silver on the outside and some v14 on the inside (only cause the seal is broken ) I would see the limits, it's not like you cant get some film to do it again

sorry it took so long to get back to this post. but I had a rough few days. ill tell that story in another thread. I appreciate all the advice everyone thanks. but metint the window is not near the shower . it is on the other side of the room. and I checked to see if it is tempered. and found nothing at all written on the glass. so I am going to assume it is not tempered to be on the safe side. if it is not tempered will it still work. or would using different film 's be my best bet. another concern I have is if I use silver 20 with design's cut out. will the uneven heat absorbtion be a problem. or even if I use clored film like blue and red mixe's. will that be ok not nessacarily those two combo's but just in general. how much heat do the . colored films absorb. and what about silver 35 and colored with the colored layed down first

Archived