transparent vinyl to smoke tail lights

Guest Darknesswithin
does anyone have a video on how to shrink this stuff with a steamer i want to try it!!

it doesn't shrink. You heat it up and stretch the film kind of like PPF

:lol2 stretch not shrink...

I prefer to use the heat gun because the heat and pull works so much better than using the steamer but both ways work

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have been having problem with some lights if I stretch too much it will pucker on the edges after a day or two. Has anyone else had the same problem, and do you have a solution?

Yeah . It is with any vinyl . My solution is a little difficult to explain but I will try. I use my fingers to stretch the small puckers, and apply a small amount of heat holding the gun away about a foot from the material. that away, it just becomes moderately warm . Usually this problem occurs when you are stretching to film in multiple directions, and it has a really compound curve , like the Altima tail lights for example. Just keep in mind, the material was never really made for this purpose. Hope this helps.

Guest n8vcomp

When you see edges of the film pulling back up a little or so called "puckering up" not long after installing, the solution is to re-bake the whole light once its on and down. The reason being- Its a vinyl, and vinyls initial position is flat, so when its bent and curved its not the natural position for the vinyl. So once its all done and on, its important to go back and re-bake it with the heatgun to allow the vinyl to reheat and cool while its stuck in the current position, this way now that it cooled in that form, it now becomes the new natural position for the vinyl and it shouldnt want to peel back up.

Experience comes from doing car wraps for 5 years. and bumpers have the same kind of theory.

-Nate V

Archived