transparent vinyl to smoke tail lights

Guest sprklw

I have been having problem with some lights if I stretch too much it will pucker on the edges after a day or two. Has anyone else had the same problem, and do you have a solution?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have been having problem with some lights if I stretch too much it will pucker on the edges after a day or two. Has anyone else had the same problem, and do you have a solution?

what kind of film are you using? sound like your stretching to much of the film, low heat light stretch on curved areas only.

Guest sprklw

what kind of film are you using? sound like your stretching to much of the film, low heat light stretch on curved areas only.

I am using the Oracal 8300 med grey, and I could be stretching too much. It happened to me on a 09 Scion the other day. I am warranting the work jsut seeing if I need to try a different approach. Thanks for the reply. I use a steamer for my application, a heat gun seems to melt the vinyl even at low heat and distance.

Guest scottydosnntkno

You can overstretch it as obviously the more its stretched the thinner the adhesive is. On the really curvy ones it helps to have a second set of hands so you can pull two corners while heating it to stretch the entire piece not just the last few inches.

Also, cool dude, looks like your wasting a lottt of the material. Nothing personal, but when vinyl costs me like $1/ft2 i try to not throw most of it away :thumb

You can overstretch it as obviously the more its stretched the thinner the adhesive is. On the really curvy ones it helps to have a second set of hands so you can pull two corners while heating it to stretch the entire piece not just the last few inches.

Also, cool dude, looks like your wasting a lottt of the material. Nothing personal, but when vinyl costs me like $1/ft2 i try to not throw most of it away :thumb

I hate wasting extra film but with more film It seems to help me control the stretch with a good grasp when using the heat gun. Just charge more for using more film.. :beer

Guest scottydosnntkno
does anyone have a video on how to shrink this stuff with a steamer i want to try it!!

it doesn't shrink. You heat it up and stretch the film kind of like PPF

Archived